Similar Sounding Confusing Words: Conscious and Conscientious
Author: Vandana Member Level: Platinum Points: 7 (₹ 7)
The words conscious and conscientious are often confused with each other and wrongly used. They are neither pronounced in the same manner nor do they have the same meanings.
The word conscious is an adjective.
Meanings: aware; mindful; awake; alert; deliberate; intentional.
Antonym: unconscious; unaware.
The word conscientious is an adjective. Meanings: careful; thorough; meticulous; hard-working.
Examples of conscious:
1. The Government made a conscious decision to introduce new rules to lower the stress of examinations.
2. The injured goalkeeper became conscious soon after being admitted to the hospital.
3. The patient was given a local anaesthetic injection and hence was conscious during the surgery.
Examples of conscientious:
1. The staff collectively made a conscientious decision to work overtime to clear the backlog.
2. Mohan was always a conscientious worker.
3. The boss appreciated the conscientious effort of the Accounts Manager and decided to appreciate it with a bonus.