Similar sounding confusing words: Accede and Exceed
Author: Vandana Member Level: Platinum Points: 7 (₹ 7)
Accede is a verb.
Meanings: assent; comply; agree; allow; grant
Exceed is a verb.
Meanings: go beyond; surpass; go above; go over
Examples of Accede:
1. The ISC Webmaster agreed to accede to the member's request for introducing a dictionary section.
2. In the light of the bribery scandal, the politician was compelled to accede to the demand of the party members to resign.
3. The film festival organizers acceded to the director's request to allow his film to be shown as it was relevant to the environment theme.
Examples of Exceed:
1. The doctor told his patient not to exceed the limit of tablets to be taken in a day as it would cause harmful effects.
2. The motorist was clearly exceeding the speed limits as he drove down the highway.
3. The hotel guest exceeded the limits by needlessly throwing tantrums and using abusive language with the staff.