When you mean to say "widely known" both for people and thing, the word 'Famous' can be used. Eminent on the other hand is only used for people and not for things. For example we say "This library is famous for science and fiction books" but it would be wrong to say "This library is eminent for science and fiction books".
Eminent is a stronger word than ‘famous'. It comes from the Latin word ‘eminentem' meaning ‘to stand out'. An eminent person, therefore, is someone who is outstanding and distinguished member of his profession.
1. Shahid Kapoor is a famous actor.
2. The Art of Living course is very famous these days.
3. This place is famous for Wild life sanctuary.
1. India has produced many eminent painters.
2. Dhoni is an eminent player.
3. He is an eminent artist.