• Category: Orthopedics

Treatment for Condromalecia

Its been almost 3 yrs I am suffering from Condromalecia(age:29 yrs). The pain in my knees is pricking needles kind. I cannot squat and find climbing stairs very painful. Can anybody tell me the treatment for this problem. I am fed up of the pain which has restricted a no. of my daily activities.

Recently I am getting physiotherapy done but the progress seems to be nil.

• Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the under the patella which is also called the kneecap. Chondromalacia patella is the most common cause of chronic and severe knee pain.
    Sliding of the kneecap with the lower end of the thigh bone called the femur results in the degeneration of the cartilage under the kneecap which causes pain. This process is also called patellofemoral syndrome.
    A discomfort of the inner knee area is one of the sure symptoms of Chondromalacia Patella.

Adhering to strict physical therapy is one of the world wide treatments for the disease. Giving rest to the knees and strictly avoiding activities that put stress on the knees is advised. However, exercises are not to be avoided altogether. Swimming is one of the exercises that will keep you fit, active and healthy without causing any stress to the knees. Also, avoid prolonged bending of the knees. After a lot of research and observation it has been concluded that surgery of the knee cap in treatment of Chondromalacia is not very effective and has had very few positive results. I would advise you to stick to your physiotherapy. It will definitely get positive results but it will take some time.
    Strengthening hamstring muscles is important for an effective and lasting treatment of Chondromalacia Patella.
    The main focus of the treatment of Chondromalacia is to try to improve the alignment of patella.

• Chondromalacia patella or Patello femoral pain syndrome occurs due to repetitive stress on the knee, most common in Athletic players.
    Physiotherapy plays an important role in treating this condition.Below is the procedure which you should follow daily to get best results.

Medical management

Before going to physio part,have a look on medical treatment for this condition.
  • NSAID's (pain killers)
  • Knee brace
  • Taping of patella.
  • Arthroscopy
  • Cartilage repair etc.
    Physiotherapy for Chondromalacia Patella.
    Aim
  • To relieve pain
  • To restore lost movements
  • To restore muscle power
  • To correct the deformity.
  • To improve the functions of patella.

Exercises and home remedies for the condition
  • Rest
  • Cryotherapy(ice massage)
  • Limitation of activities like climbing stairs,Kneeling or squatting etc.
  • Strengthening exercise to Quadriceps muscle is the first and foremost one, since your walking needs the action of this muscle.Strengthening exercises to Hip abductors may also be helpful.
  • Closed chain exercises otherwise called as weight bearing exercises provides best results in initial stage.
  • Your physio may teach you how to perform stretching exercises at home.Hence consult your Physiotherapist and get some demonstrations.
  • You can also have Ultrasound therapy and wax therapy in the Physio departments.
  • In mean time you can also follow this simple exercise.
    Place a folded towel below your knee.Now press that towel with your knee and hold it for ten counts then relax.Do this for 5 times(gradually you can increase)thrice daily.
    This exercise can be done safely without anyone's supervision.
    Rani.

Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Ask Experts Section