• Category: Orthopedics

Is it Necessary to wear neck belt for cervical spondylosis patients?

Are you suffering from cervical spondylosys and want to know whether it is necessary to wear neck belt? Read the experts opinion on it and is it compulsory for cervical spondylosis patients under homeopathy treatment to wear neck belt.

I am aged 55 years and suffering from cervical spondylosys with coliasis. I am under the treatment of homeopathic Doctor. It is advised by many of my friends to wear neck belt. As I feel it is inconvenient and feel that is not necessary as there is no pain for me in neck. Dear Doctors!what is your opinion?

• Dear Ramachandran, spondylosis is a degenerative condition of vertebrae. But I have never heard of any condition called Coliasis.

Anyway wearing a collar is the conservative management even though if you are not comfortable. I think it is more relevant to unstable joints, ligament injuries, slipping of vertabrae as in "spondylolesthesis" still it is beneficial in your condition also.

'Complacency kills the progress,strive for the best..'
    'Share to grow, Grow to share'

editor
    Ask expert section
    ISC

• Please confirm is it spondylosis or something else. i will confirm the management. If it is associated with neurological deficit or neuropathic pain/ incontinency of urine and motion etc. then surely you need to wear a collar and may have to go for surgical management. Write you Xray findings here.

'Share to grow, Grow to share'

editor
    Ask expert section
    ISC

• Neck belt is advised to reduce the pain of neck in patients suffering with cervical spondylitis. This belt will reduce the pressure of vertebrae (neck bones) on the nerve that is being compressed by the bone. So it is better you continue the usage of neck to avoid increased damage to the nerve which will have paining effects. Also continue the treatment and use the appropriate medicines.

Thank you.
    Dr.Shashikanth Vydyula

"Be Responsible Citizen and Follow Rules to Build Beautiful India"

• Though it is uncomfortable to wear neck belt, yet is is advisable to wear one as it not only helps in reducing the pain but also helps in the gradual positioning of the vertebrae which are placed one above the other and mostly the pain is caused even due to slight displacement of these vertebrae. Hence wearing a collar belt helps in placing the vertebrae in their proper place and also it helps in avoiding further displacement of these rings and thus avoid further damage of the vertebral column

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani