The ozone layer, a form of oxygen, is kinda blessing for us. Lets know how does it help us :
What is an Ozone Layer?
- As an oxygen molecule is highly unstable it binds with oxygen to form ozone.
- The ozone layer acts as a filter for the shorter wavelength and highly hazardous ultraviolet radiation from the sun, protecting life on Earth from its potentially harmful effects.
- Ozone gas is used in mineral water as it breaks downs in oxygen molecules in water.
- It's like an umbrella over our Earth.
- It is found in the stratospheric layer of the atmosphere.
How does it protect the Earth?
- When the Sun sends ultra violent rays to the Earth, they go through the ozone layer.
- The ozone layer absorbs most of the ultra violent rays and thus, protecting the Earth from the hazardous UV rays.
- It also keeps the temperature of the Earth constant in the lower levels.
How harmful are Ultra Violent Rays?
-If the UV rays were able to reach to us in heavy amounts, we would suffer many diseases such as skin cancer, cataract, sunburn and our skin cells get damaged due to which our aging is accelerated.
- UV rays highly damage the DNA of an organism if exposed.
- It can even cause blindness.
The ozone layer around the Earth is becoming really thin. We need to save our ozone layer.The destroyers of the ozone layer are chlorofluorocarbons, nitrogen oxides from fertilizers and various kinds of emissions from road and air transports. There is even a hole appeared over Antarctica in the ozone layer of the atmosphere.