• Scope in Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) after B.A. in History

Are you looking forward to working in the Archaeological Survey in India, but not able to find a correct direction for study? Ask here for proper opinion about getting into ASI.

I've just completed my H.S.C. and looking forward for my graduation and also to have a good career. I'm very interested in Archaeology, but unfortunately in my local Universities (in Assam+NE) archaeology is not available as a B.A. or M.A. course. I cannot go out of Assam for further studies, because of my economic condition.

I've two questions regarding this: -
    1. If I study for B.A having hons. in History, how should I go further for A.S.I. or any other public services? And what are the scopes there?
    2. If I completed B.A. without hons. in History, but have that subject as my Pass - course, will I still eligible for A.S.I?

I, therefore would like to request you kindly to help me with your advises to reach my goal smoothly.

Hope, I could make you understand my situation and will have some good advices from you all.

• B.A in History/ Archaeology
    It is a 3 Year course and eligibility criteria for this course is 10+2 or equivalent.

Candidates who have completed B.A in History can do a 2 year Post graduate Diploma or Degree in Archaeology(PGDA) Course in Institute of Archaeology, the academic wing of the Archaeological Survey of India ( A.S.I.). Admission into a PGDA Course in Archaeological Survey of India will be based on Written test and interview.

Eligibility for PGDA:

Candidates who have completed Master's Degree in History / Archaeology / Anthropology and also Graduates in History in any stream are eligible to do this PGDA Course.

Scope of Archaeology:

The Candidates who have completed PGDA Course can get jobs in government sector, private sector, tourism industry, defence services, museums, art galleries, cultural and historical centres etc.

They can also work as a tourist guides, interpreters, trip organizers, heritage managers, researchers, professional historians, linguists, surveyors, numismatists, epigraphists, curators, heritage conservators, archivists, teachers etc.