• Category: Engineering Jobs

What to do choose after B.Tech. computer science - GATE or job?

Confused about whether to prepare for GATE of take up a job after graduation in computer science? Get suggestions from this Ask Expert page which is the better option.

I am pursuing B.E.(CS) last year. I want to go for GATE preparations. I want suggestions on what I can do after GATE and what other options are there for me. I have knowledge of linux, java, oracle and web design. Should I choose GATE or go for a private job or a government job?

• I felt both of your options are good considering the current situation. If you are desperately want to go for GATE then choose it and prepare for the exams and try to clear the exams with good marks so that you can get good college.
    Don't choose GATE as a option. You have to put your maximum efforts to clear the exams. You are about lose your valuable time in prepare for the exams. You can use this time to get some good job.

If you have atleast 1% percentage of doubt about writing GATE exams then better prepare for government or private jobs. Failing in GATE exam would be a big problem for a youngster like you as I already mentioned you are about to spend a lot of time in preparing for the exams. If you planned well then you can use this time for a better job in private or government organizations.

I would suggest you to do the things parallel so that you won't miss any kind of opportunities.

Whatever happens life should move on...
    Thanks Karthik

• It is best to go on for a private or government job and then in future you can continue your studies if necessary. Since you possess knowledge in the software sector, you can better choose your job first. Many companies give opportunities for undergoing Higher education so as to be easier in Internal job applicable's.

If you really wish to continue your studies, you can start preparing for your GATE examinations. It will be easier to prepare when you are in your studies itself. Else it will be too hard for you to concentrate on your preparation after going into a job.

If you have courage and confidence in clearing your exam, its safe to go for your high studies.

• Both your options are good. But it depends on the situation of your house. If you are interested in further studies and if you desperately want to appear for gate, then apply for gate and prepare for gate as clearing the gate is very difficult. If you start working now and later if you want to take a break from work and continue studies, the situation might not be the same. You might have one or the other responsibilities which might make it difficult for you to concentrate on studies. You can still study later but i feel it might be a little difficult and you would have losed touch with you subject knowledge. You can work for an year or two and later continue with studies but not more than two years. But make sure that you don't lose your subject touch. Find little time to study everyday.

• You have stated in your post that 'I want suggestions on what I can do after GATE and what other options are there for me'. It indicates that you have just heard about GATE and presently have only vague notions about GATE. Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering is full form of GATE. It is an all India examination. GATE score is used for admission in postgraduate programs like M.E., M.Tech., Ph. D. etc, in Indian higher education institutes. with financial assistance provided by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. This is a computer based standardized test. Undergraduate level knowledge / skill of chosen engineering or science discipline is tested. It is conducted jointly by IISc and 7 IIT's. In the year 2015, total 804,463 candidates appeared in this examination. Only about 15% of appearing candidates qualify. GATE scores are also used by many Indian PSU's for recruitment at entry level engineering posts.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.