• Category: ENT

How do deal with chronic rhinitis and severe cough problem

Suffering from chronic rhinitis and severe cough & not finding an effective cure? Quickly check out the answers below to know the most effective treatment and medicines to deal with the problem.

I have had allergic rhinitis and cough problem ever since I was a kid. My symptoms are usually watery eyes, running nose, bronchitis and cough. I have tried every medium of medicine but nothing seems to work. I took cetrizine tablets, levocetrizine tablets,tried ayurvedic medicines and everything. I am currently undergoing homeopathic treatment. It has helped me to some extent, say 40-50 % but not curing me completely. I am getting really worried and if anyone has any suggestion please provide me.

• I would like to say that harboring the symptoms and then trying to control the same with medicines is not the correct approach. You may attempt to eradicate the root cause itself by following regular physical exercise, taking healthy balanced food, adequate sleep and discipline approach. It may take some time for the results to appear but once controlled will never get repeated except in unusual and exceptional circumstances.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Since you mention you suffer from allergic rhinitis and cough you must be aware that you are allergic to certain things. Allergies are caused by allergens; these could be something you eat or something in the atmosphere and or your immediate surroundings.

Watch out for foods that can give you allergies –
    • Peanuts
    • Prawns
    • Gluten
    • Nuts
    • Milk
    • Brinjal etc

Allergens in the atmosphere –
    • Dust
    • Pollen
    • Smoke etc

Allergens in your immediate surrounding –
    • Mold & fungus
    • Perfumes
    • Aggarbati
    • Phenyl
    • Washed clothes that get a musty smell when stored
    • Woollen clothes and certain fabrics etc

You must aim at eradicating the cause for your allergies, only then will you be able to fight the condition.

A little trick that works for me is, rinsing bed sheets and pillow covers in running water, before using them. No matter how clean I keep my linen cupboard I get allergies if I use something from it without first rinsing it.

Another thing that works for me is something I learnt from a television show. Use your middle finger to apply pressure on the spot between your eyebrows, just above the bridge of the nose. Hold for a few seconds and alternate it by pushing your tongue against your palate. Hold this for a few seconds. Repeat these two 10-15 times, as often as you want. Doing this releases the blocked sinuses and clears your nose and stops the itching and watering of the eyes.