• Category: Medical Jobs

How can an MBBS intern become a physiology teacher?

Are you interested in knowing how to become Physiology teacher in the US after your MBBS? you can understand the career prospects in Physiology in the US in this Ask Experts page.

I am intern doing MBBS from KEM Mumbai.I want to be a professor in Physiology. I understand that there is not much scope in India. Can you help me with career prospects for the same in US. I would also like to know about the research and PhD prospects in Physiology in US. I don't want to take up USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) since it requires a lot of money and the procedure is elaborate.
    I am an average student and have not done any research in myMBBS undergraduate days. Also are there any opportunities in getting scholarships in US? What steps do I need to take to become a Physiology teacher? Kindly advice.

• As far as I know, the equivalent of Indian MBBS is known as MD in USA. It is not to be confused with MD of India which is a postgraduate medical degree. Clearing USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) is required for doing medical practice in USA. It may not be possible for an average student to get teaching position in American universities. Many American universities offer MD-Ph.D. program which combines medical education with research work. Generally such candidates are able to find faculty position. The author may consider completing postgraduate medical degree programs like MD followed by DM in India in case teaching in a medical college is a preferred option.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Hi,
    If you are focused for teaching or research based career after your MBBS, you can pursue post graduate Diploma in Psychology as you specialization (it is your choice).
    After this, you may have may opportunities for teaching in Medical institutes and you will also get chance for further research.
    But remember, a grand success always need hard work, so saying that you are an average student sounds like an excuses. Do work hard, if you actually want to go abroad for your further studies.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!