• Category: Other Jobs

Scope and salary after clearing UGC-NET

Are you looking out for joining the teaching profession? Confused about the salary package after clearing UGC-NET exam? Then this Ask Expert page will provide you with the correct advice.

I have completed my PGDM-Marketing /IT in 2013 with 79% marks. After that I have 2 years of experience in Back Office Operations and Marketing. My present salary is 25000. Now I am looking for clearing UGC-NET Exam and want to continue my career in teaching. What would be the starting salary after qualifying NET exam? Is going for UGC-NET is right decision or not? I am confused, can experts give advice.

• This thread is being shifted to Ask Expert section.

'Knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing when to say it.' -Anonymous

• Hello, Mr. Jaiswal
    If you want to your career in teaching you should clear UGC-NET exam.
    It's a very good things to you that teaching profession is a good profession.
    Qualifying National Eligibility Test enables one to be eligible to apply for the position of Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Universities and Colleges located anywhere in India.
    Qualifying National Eligibility Test also makes one eligible for Junior Research Fellowship but the maximum age limit to apply for fellowship is 28 years and since you are 38, you can only take the test for Lectureship.

Scope and Salary at Collage & University level:
    UGC NET exam is conducted for selecting candidates to fellowship and lectureship. As you have crossed 28 years, you can't apply for fellowship. But you can join as lecturer in government colleges. This position offers attractive salary package and other benefits. You can earn a basic salary of Rs. 40,000/- per month.
    Scope and salary Corporate level:
    Now a day's many Corporate companies are opting NET cleared candidates for their vacancies or positions. Mainly for research investigation.
    After NET you will be eligible for a salary according to the sixth pay commission rule of the Government of India for teaching and lectureship.
    Following the sixth Pay Commission report, the UPA Government, in recognition of the growing role and influence of Ministry of Home(MHA), India's Interior Ministry, promoted the heads of the five police led Central Para Military Forces, to the highest grade pay, or the apex scale, with pay scale of Rs.80,000 (fixed)

Position **Minimum CTC per year (in Lacks)

Assistant Professor (Junior) 4.92 Lacks
    Assistant Professor 5.75 Lacks
    Assistant Professor (Senior) 6.80 Lacks
    Assistant Professor (Selection Grade) 9.33 Lacks
    Associate Professor 9.33 Lacks
    Professor 11.88 Lacks
    Going for UGC-NET exam is right decision.
    Thanks

• The main eligibility criteria for appearing in UGC-NET examination is as follows -
    1. No upper age limit for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor post
    2. At least 55% marks in master's degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognised by UGC
    The pay scale of a Assistant Professor is Rs. 15600-39100 (Pay Band - 3) on which dearness allowance and other admissible allowances are added making it more than double of the basic pay.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Starting salary is around 25000 to 30000, depending on the college where you apply and whether your experience is counted or not. UGC-NET is tough, so I would suggest that you plan your studies and take it seriously.
    Regarding whether UGC-NET is the right decision: According to me, if you love teaching and have patience only then teaching is the right choice for you. Do not just take this career up just for the salary but if you are interested in it.

Autograph your work with excellence!

• Hello All,
    UGC_NET & CSIR NET are one of most sought academia exams and after clearing these exams a lavish lifestyle and research opportunity waits for you. Salary structure for two different posts assistant professor and JRF are as follows:
    Associate Professor: Rs. 37400-67000
    JRF: Rs.25,000/-

For Payscale and Pay band details visit:
    http://ugcnetexamcbse.blogspot.in/2016/02/junior-research-fellowship-jrf-exam.html
    https://www.eduncle.com/csir-net-exam

• Hi,
    It depends on the institute you are joining. If you join a government university you would certainly get a handsome package.
    Now if I talk about private universities, most of them are not paying according to UGC norms.