• Category: BPO and KPO jobs

What is the scope in chat processes in BPO sector?

Unsure whether chat processes have any job scope in a BPO? Find out from experts if it would be beneficial or not.

I work in a market research company. My work mainly involves online research and data entry. I have a colleague who now wants to quit and join a reputable BPO for a chat process job. Salary which they are offering is certainly better than the peanuts we get paid here. But I have tried to dissuade him as I don't feel like it is the right move. My question is: What is the scope in a job and field like this? Is BPO a good career option? What happens after he gets old, after a certain age - doesn't it become difficult for most people who currently work in this sector? I know that having experience in KPOs and back offices is certainly beneficial and can help you get a good job...but chat process? Will experience in it count?

• BPO jobs may involve voice , email/chat or back office ( and more ) operations.Demands for Voice Process are greater than Chat/ Email Support.

What is the scope in a job and field like this?
    Voice support pay more as well however growth and scope wise Chat Process would offer the same career path.
    A typical career path will be L1 executive then after few years/ months SME ( Subject Matter Expert ) , Team Lead and then Manager. The positions or designations may change with each company . And one will always have an option to move laterally & vertically into some other department or domain within the same organization. Or else you can move to Quality Assurance Dept as well.

Is BPO a good career option?
    Yes and No. It to some extent depends on the company.It is fine to opt for BPO / KPO opportunities as the exposure is greater and may give a scope to handle international customers also.

What happens after he gets old, after a certain age - doesn't it become difficult for most people who currently work in this sector?
    Difficult in what sense - did not get the question. One will have growth opportunities and career path in a BPO. Moreover they offer PF and Gratuity as well.

Will experience in it count?
    Every experience counts however it should be related to same industry. For example the BPO experience will not be relevant to a SAP Job but can be counted in any broader field of customer service.

Hope these help.

• What is the scope in a job and field like BPO/Chat process?

I prefer to go with this company only in case I have cross the age limit or even unable to apply for Govt jobs in the near future etc. Anyhow, if the client and BPO company is good then one can enjoy the perks beside PF and other little luxury benefit, and it is not sure that client may extend the contract in the near future or BPO company may help you to change the process.

Is BPO a good career option?
    Something is better than nothing, when I was working in the BPO company for temporary period, I observed that other colleagues used to attend some Central Govt and State Govt interviews and got their jobs too. BPO is good for the one who don't get immediate right jobs, so, you can use few months or 1+ year effectively to learn about various thing, including, email/chat, voice and semi-voice process, multi-cultural environment, temporary night shifts or afternoon shifts and other perks etc.

See friend, you have to save money while you working on this sector and try to move smartly on-time for either business or other senior post in well known private company at least to secure yourself/career. This revenue would help you to spend more than what you earning just because of the atmosphere, so, be careful on this.

I know that having experience in KPOs and back offices is certainly beneficial and can help you get a good job...but chat process?
    Yes, Chat process (like Gtalk/Hangout) too helps for getting various knowledge, typing speed increase, knowledge increase and benefit too once you cross the certain duration.

Will experience in it count?
    Yes, it counts for getting jobs in similar BPO industry only and definitely helps this nature of work in different industry if you don't show the experience except rough work experience or NIL experience to get jobs in a complete different organization.