• Category: Medical Jobs

What is the scope of doing MBA after MBBS?

Interested in studying MBA after becoming a doctor? Responses from experts on this page will provide a guiding light.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing an MBA after MBBS? And I mean MBA from reputed colleges like IIMs. I'm a final year MBBS student and currently I feel that my passion doesn't really lie in medicine even though taking up this course was entirely my decision. I want to know the opportunities in management field. Will it be foolish on my part to pursue this after investing so many years of my life in MBBS?
    How are the job opportunities and monetary benefits of doing MBA from IIMs? I am considering this because I don't think being a doctor will make me happy.
    Experts: do provide advice.

• It is really difficult to digest your query. Many students drop years to fight medical entrance tests and you are about to complete your course but not finding it good for yourself. Strange!

Yes you can pursue MBA but before that, I would like to suggest you to complete your MBBS and internship honestly.
    Then do practice for a while and then pursue MBA.
    Then you will be able to own your own hospital as you will be having you hard earn money with you, your medical related knowledge and finally management knowledge.

If you do not want to be in medical field at all, then you need to decide the field of your interest in which you want to have your career. Then only decide for course. Merely doing MBA does not guarantee a bright future.

If you want to go for software kind of job, then go for some short term relevant certification courses and get a job.
    If you want to be in pharmacy related career, you can pursue B-pharma and D-Pharma.

There are lots of options you can have, the only thing which is must required is your stiff decision and focus.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

• Completing MBA from IIMs will add value to the resume and brighten the future career prospects. However doing MBA from run of the mill institutes may not be of much use. There is good scope for MBBS plus MBA (IIM's) candidates in hospital administration and management. The author may consider working hard to crack CAT to secure admission in IIMs.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• It appears strange to me that you continued your medical studies despite your lack of interest. However, it is my sincere advise to complete the course with excellent marks so that you may impress others for your achievements.
    While considering the Management - education, it would be benificial for you provided the same is persued from top institutions such as IIM, Xavier's Institute of Management etc. You may seriously start preparation in this line after passing out your MBBS course.
    There are several prominent Institutions offering their expertise to prosperous students, you may surf them through the Internet. You must take a caution that in no case, you should take admission in such colleges/ institution which is not prominent. Hence solution lies in taking up CAT test seriously with excellent percentile.
    By acquiring a Management - degree with IIM in Hospital Administration would always be advantageous to you.

• Although management and medicine are entirely different fields still you can relate them. If you pursue MBA then you can easily join any big pharmacy company or any other company which has a business of medicinal equipment. There you will have an edge over others because you will be having a better understanding of the equipment and a person like you who already belong to medicine cannot be denied a senior and better post in the company but it may take some time to establish yourself. Apart from MBA you can also pursue Medical engineering that also has good scope.

• Most of the management program for MBBS and PHD holders are related to the hospitality industry. Also the amount of packages and the jobs are related to either pharma packaging or the hospital management. There are many such options available for the MBBS student but it all depends on how you choose to approach further career. I'd say stick with MBBS training initially and then once you get into management aim for the job oriented training instead of MBA. There are some courses in IIM for the MBBS student. Those programs pay out just well.

• You can go for MBA in Health Care Management. This is a new stream which has been initiated in India. This is available in some Universities of India including Delhi University. The qualification for admission or entrance test for this course is MBBS. You can go for this qualification.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

• Dear what you are thinking is latest trend among doctors. Most of the doctors are going for MBA degree. It add an additional shiny star in their resume when they apply for multi national or international hospitals. They get a big hike in salary after doing MBA.
    Most of the big name in hospitals are preferring MBA doctors so that they can use them in multi tasking. If you have done your MBBS seriously and are planning to go for MBA then this is a good step and is according to the current trend.
    I do not think if you are interested in being a software engineer or something!
    You are on best track, pump it up with energy fuel and then no one can stop you from going higher and higher in your career.

Dear, If one percent I assume, you are not liking this sector totally then please do not go for MBA. Go for some own business as things which may be bothering you now will be increased multiple times after starting your career. So plan accordingly, do not just waste your time, energy and money because of your fickle mind.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

• Actually it is really great setback for you. You have already invested six years of your study and huge money over MBBS course. Now shifting to some other course will fetch you nothing. So, you can pursue your further study in the field of MBA(Hostpital Administration). Anyway, this is a management course but lightly linked with your MBBS course. Diverting yourself completely away from medicine is not a good idea.

A true soldier needs both military and spiritual training-S C Bose.

• In general any person who is MBBS will like to work in a hospital or have his own practice. It is not only a good financial proposition but also a comfortable situation as far as job satisfaction is considered. A doctors position in the society is quite respectable and from that point of view he is satisfied with his technical work.
    MBA is a very general thing and a person with MBA degree can fit in any organization in any managerial or administrative capacity. He is all rounder and is supposed to perform in any business environment.
    MBA after MBBS may look like putting an elephant over the horse but it is not so. Today all the big hospitals, medical colleges, para medical colleges and drug companies require doctors not only for their routine work but also at higher levels for running the institution.
    If a doctor with MBA degree is available then what more is required.
    The only thing which comes to mind against the above proposition is that why a MBBS will incur extra expenditure on doing MBA when he is already comfortable as a doctor doing his technical work. So its ones choice whether he wants to go up in the ladder and manage the things or remains with his technical colleagues.