Mobile phones convert our voice i.e., sound energy into an electrical signal. These electrical signals so converted are then transmitted in the form of radio waves. In this way, sound energy in mobile phones is converted into electromagnetic waves. It travels on the other side i.e., to the receiver and he will receive these electromagnetic waves converted back in the form of sound.
Musical instruments produce pure sound energy but it is not true in case of music that comes out of mobile phones. One should avoid listening to music from their mobile phones and the reason is that electromagnetic waves are reaching our ears and these waves has hazardous effects on our health. If we listen to music via ear buds provided with the mobile phones then we are at risk of introducing three times more electromagnetic radiation directly into our ear canal and brain when compared to listening music without ear buds.
Hazardous effects of electromagnetic energy from mobile phones:-
1) Brain tumors,
2) Tissue heating,
4) Increase in heart rate,
5) Increase in blood pressure,
6) Sleep disturbance etc.....
Sound waves and Electromagnetic waves:-
1) Sound waves require a medium to travel whereas electromagnetic waves do not require any medium to travel.
2) Sound waves travel through media such as solid, liquid, gas and plasma whereas electromagnetic waves travel in a vacuum.
3) Sound waves travel with the speed of 343m/s at 20 degree Celsius and electromagnetic waves travel with the speed of 3.00 x10exp8 m/s i.e., velocity of sound waves is less than that of electromagnetic waves.