You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Professional Courses

    Qualification to appear in UGC NET in education

    Wondering what qualifications are needed to appear for UGC NET exam? Check out suggestions from experts on this page.

    I have done M.Sc in Zoology and B.Ed. I have also completed MA in Rural Development from IGNOU. Now I want to appear in UGC NET but not in my subject of Zoology. I want to choose Education subject.
    Am I eligible for appearing in NET in education or do I need to do M.Ed?
    Awaiting advice.
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • You should complete your master degree(PG level) in M.Ed for National Eligibility Test(NET) in Education. The eligibility for NET is 55% in master degree in concerned subject.
    You can apply NET for Zoology or Rural devlopment.

  • UGC-NET is now being conducted by the CBSE. Earlier, it was conducted by the UGC itself. The full form of NET is National Eligibility Test. This test is held twice a year, in the month of June and in the month of December.

    NET is held to determine eligibility for college and university level lectureship and for award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). Only Indian nationals are eligible to appear in this test. The minimum eligibility criterion for General, OBC and SC/ ST has been fixed as 60%, 55% and 50% respectively. There is no age-bar for NET in respect of lectureship. However, the age limit for NET in respect of JRF is 28 years with 5 years relaxation for SC/ST/OBC/PH/Female candidates. The exact eligibility condition can be checked from the following link:-

    As you hold the PG degree in Zoology, you can appear in NET only in Life Sciences (conducted by CSIR) provided you satisfy other eligibility conditions. For appearing in UGC-NET in Education, you have to qualify M.A (Education) with requisite percentage.

    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

  • The eligibility condition for the UGC NET has been prescribed for the different sections of the people such as 60 percent for the Generals, 55 percent for the OBC and 50 percent for the OBC's. The test is held twice in a year ie in the month of December and June and every year. In respect of Lecturership in a college, there is no restriction in respect of age bar but the achievement of the marks has to be fulfilled as stated above. It may please be noted that in case of having a double qualification such as yours ie M.Sc in Zoology and M.A in rural development, you have to consider your aggregate marks in the respective fields and the same must match the eligibility criteria of the UGC NET.
    In case of JRF, the minimum age limit is 28 years and there is relaxation of age - limit for SC/ ST/ OBC /PH / Female candidates by 5 years.

  • You can appear in the net exam only for those subjects in which you have done your masters . Minimum %age requirement if you have in your masters you can spear for the same sub which you had in your masters. For appearing in any other sub you again need to do MA in respective sub.

  • Hi,
    No you can not give UGC NET Exam in education .
    Now you have two options - Complete your Master's in Education & than go for UGC NET Exam or Continue the UGC NET exam in Zoology .

    I don't think so that you will give your two years to complete the master's in education so choosing the second option will be better for you.

    UGC NET Zoology has also a good career scope.

    UGC NET Exam is going to held on 22nd January.You have enough time to prepare for ugc net exam. You can also join UGC NET Coaching if you have no idea that from where you have to start the preparation.

  • UGC NET conducted by CBSE and UGC NET CSIR both are to be given in the subject that you have in your Post Graduation .Basically this test is intended to check the eligibility for lectureship. So if you have PG degree in some certain subject that means you is eligible to teach that specific subject in any graduate college.
    Actually appearing for NET Exam in some other subject does not fulfill the purpose that you are sound in that subject.
    You can appear in Zoology and Rural development.

  • Sign In to post your comments