You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Indian Law

    How to register marriage if the age of the boy is 18 and the girl is 20

    Searching for information to register marriage in India? On this Ask Expert page find suggestions from experts.

    I am a 20 years old girl. My boy friend is 18. We are in a relationship. Our parents are not agreeing to our marriage due to caste problem. We came apart from them and got married. Shall we register our marriage in India? What will be the legal problems faced by us if his father give police complaint?
    What is the remedy for us?
  • #140476
    As the boy has not reached the permitted age for marriage, you cannot register the marriage. It will not be accepted.
    THE PROHIBITION OF CHILD MARRIAGE ACT, 2006 prohibits marriage of a child. As per the Act, for the purpose of this act of prohibiting child marriages,""child" means a person who, if a male, has not completed twenty-one years of age, and if a female, has not completed eighteen years of age;".

  • #140493
    The legal marriage age for the boy is 21. And for the girl is 18. So that is one reason this marriage can not stand on legal ground. Boy has to wait for upto 21. And the girl needs to either move on to someone else. Or she needs to wait for another 3 years before getting married. The legal age and natural age for marriage are different.And the legal age are on the basis of the courts marriage act, 2006. That's how the marriage in between the two is restricted.

  • #140496
    Since you are legal to marry but boy is not 21 years old . You can not register marriage.
    Since you already eloped there will be searches going on. First thing how did you marry? because all marriages are done by priest and they don't sign until you are in legal age.
    Now if you have put fraud age and married then also you can not register it as for registration you need age proof like passport or Government id.
    Tell your boyfriend to stay with his relative and start working and earn for future plan. Equally you also do same thing. Wait for 3 more years and you are all set.
    Since you guys both boy and girl are in very delicate age , make sure you have right partner. There are lot of domestic violence post marriage and people get divorce even if they have love marriage.
    For your information after marriage registration you will have 1 year to think about your marriage and partner and you can file annulment to void marriage. All the best.

    Life Is Beautiful

  • #140500
    I have read the questions. My answers are as follows:-

    (i) It is not possible for you (your boy-friend and yourself) to legally marry because your boy-friend has not reached the marriageable age (21 years for males).
    (ii) From the question, I feel that both of you are facing problem due to caste difference. I feel that even if you marry, you won't get the support of your families. Then how can you sustain yourself after marriage? Have you thought about it seriously?
    (iii) The only remedy available to you is to wait till both of you reach marriageable age (at least three years). In the meantime, both of you must try to become economically self-reliant.

    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

  • Sign In to post your comments