You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Doctors

    Is Vaseline or Lip balm harmful to body if accidentally eaten?

    Wondering if Vaseline or lip balm is potable? Find advice from experts on this page.

    In winter Vaseline or Lip balms are common to carry and use whenever feels lips are dry and hard.
    There are lot incidents when we apply Lip Balm and immediately eat food. So there is chance that content of these lip balms go in stomach. Now is it harmful to adult or kid or baby's body if it gets into stomach? If yes what symptoms you will see because of it?
  • #140639
    There is absolutely no harm if such balm content gets inside the stomach. Unless specified on the cream or balm itself. If mentioned then it could be one problem. Most likely there should be no issue. Besides inside our stomach, we have powerful digestion system as it is. So it's not going to be easy for us to get any side effects immediately. This is one reason few type of medicine have the note or caution added on them. Lip care and body creams have no such instructions. So they should not pose any form of threat.

  • #140652
    No lip balms and vaselines are not much fatally injurious but please avoid consuming food after applying it.
    Before taking food, please wash the mouth thoroughly.

  • #140655
    Lip - balms or Vaseline is being used as protection of the skin from the dryness as a result of adverse weather. There are chances that we may ingest some amount of Vaseline applied on the lip in course of taking taking some food - stuffs. If such ingestions are taking place on a regular basis, there would definitely serious side - effects such as stomach - cramp, loose motion, vomitting etc. Such symptom may not be noticeable if it happens once or twice a month since our body- system has the the excellent capability to flush out the toxins from the system in order to maintain the body healthy.
    The best way would be to avoid its application prior to taking any food stuffs.
    In case, you come across stomach- pain, Vomitting or loose motions and these symptoms suggest the side effects of ingestion of Vaseline, you should immediately meet your family physician.

  • #140672
    Though Vaseline and lip balm are not edible things, it is not going to be harmful, if swallowed by mistake. That is because they will be of very minute quantity and the body will send it out by the excretion processes. Moreover the body tolerates each matter to a small quantity, or the tolerable level, as it handles t by the processes of digestion or simply pushing t out in excretion.

    It is considered that there can be a minor risk of accidental swallowing the polish or balms applied on lips. So the ingredients selected will be those which give minimum harm even if taken in accidently.

    However it is always better to be careful to avoid swallowing. This is because any thing that is not edible will be rejected by the body and will try to resist it and discard it if taken in more quantity or above tolerable limit. Body will try to reject and dispose of the unacceptable foreign matter by vomit and purging.

    Anything in excess is automatically poison.

  • #140780
    Lip balm contains the following ingredients:-
    1. Ozokerite
    2. Candelilla Wax
    3. Octyldodecanol
    4. C30-45 Alkyl Methicone & C30-45 Olefin
    5. Phenyl Trimethicone
    6. Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil
    7. Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil
    8. Hydrogenated Lanolin
    9. Oleyl Alcohol
    10. Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)

    None of the above ingredients is extremely harmful. If considerable amount of lip balm is swallowed , only then the patient may suffer from stomach cramp or stomach upset, which can be easily treated.

    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

  • #145980
    Lip balms or Vaselline is generally harmless and will not cause any issues if accidentally swallowed. As these are lip balms, the ingredients used will be accordingly as there are chances of people consuming a portion of it while having food. The maximum harm that can cause to one is mild stomach irritation, that too is a very rare case. However it is always advisable not to eat the balms as they are not meant to be edible.
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

  • #146091
    Vaseline is nothing but petroleum jelly. It is only use for the external purpose .Should not eat or swallow but if is done accidentally immediately consult the doctor. Some symptoms like vomiting, nausea and stomach upset is common. We commonly use Vaseline for dry skin but it does not moisture the skin and it look like hydrated skin because it is a water repellent. So our skin is visible as oily and glossy suddenly. Apart from this you can use the Ghee or Coconut oil. This does not make any harm to your body.

  • Sign In to post your comments