You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Education

    Higher studies after 5 years education gap

    Interested in higher studies after a gap? Looking out for information? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

    I had completed B.E. in 2009 with 75 aggregate percent and MBA with 8.5 CGPA with distinction during 2011. I have 3 years work experience in customer care and recruitment. I am planning to do M.Phil and Ph.D. on full time basis. What is the eligibility criteria and type of university that offers this course?

    Thanks & regards,
    Ramya Kumar
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • Ph.D ( Doctor of Philosophy ) in Engineering is a doctoral degree. The degree is awarded to students who complete their studies in advance research or applied research.

    Eligibility for the Course:
    The aspiring candidates should have completed M.Phil degree in Engineering/ Technology from a recognized university/

    Candidates with Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology with good academic record/

    Candidates with B.Tech degree from IIT with minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale/

    Candidates with Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology should be among the top 5% with a valid Gate score/

    Candidates with Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology with experience in research and development organization with good academic record.

    The universities that offers Ph.D in Engineering courses are;
    1. Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology (DBRANIT) Jalandar
    2. Sant longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET) Punjab
    3. National Institute of Technology (NIT) Raipur.
    4. Pondicherry University (PU) Pondicherry.
    5. National Institute of Technology. (NIT) Karnataka
    6. Birla Institute of Technology and Science(BITS) Pilani
    7. Symbiosis International University (SIU)Pune
    8. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi
    9. National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar
    10, Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT ) Vadodara
    11. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Univsity (Avvu) Coimbatore
    12, Jaypee Institute of Information Technology (JIIT) Noida

  • There are many universities offering Ph.D course after your Masters degree. You are a B.Tech with MBA. Are you interested in going for M.Phil and Ph.D in Business administration. You need not do separately M.Phil. You can directly get admitted to Ph.D First year of your Ph.D you study a course. Once you pass that you can proceed for your Ph.D. Clearing that exam is not yet all difficult. Some Universities offer Ph.D after B.Tech also.

    But the problem in your case is gap of 5 years. You have to select an university. Go to the department and try to get the consent of a teaching faculty to be your guide. Once he accepts, the process starts. You may be given some aid also for your research.

    always confident

  • It is not clear to me why do you want to do M Phil and PhD? there is no need to do both of the courses. It will be sure wastage of money and time. you may do PhD in business administration or in any other subject that is related to business (as you have a MBA degree).
    In the later part you have stated that you have a gap in your educational career, which may create problem. For that you can contact directly with the university personnel , where you want to seek admission. If they allows you, then go ahead.

  • As far as I know, M.Phil degree is not awarded in Engineering by any Indian University. You have to go for PhD. The eligibility condition for PhD is ME or MTech in the relevant branch with consistently good performance.

    So far as your gap in education is concerned, I would say that it is quite common in the field of Engineering. Students usually join industries after completing BE/BTech. Some of them return to academic enviornment after a gap of 3-5 years if they don't find the industry environment suitable.

    So, you have to complete ME/MTech before going for PhD. You will get scholarship while studying ME/MTech if you clear Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering(GATE).

    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

  • Sign In to post your comments