You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Career Guidance

    Is a divorcee eligible for applying for Govt. Jobs?

    Wondered whether a divorcee is eligible for Govt. jobs? Please check this page to know few suggestions from our ISC experts.

    I am 25 years old girl. I am a divorcee from last 2 months. I am a B.Com 1st year student. Suggest me can I get a Govt. Job. Can I apply for a government job? If yes, then suggest me the category of jobs for which I am eligible.
    Which one should I choose for my career? What should I do for my future life?
  • Answers

    8 Answers found.
  • There is no restriction for those who are divorced to apply for a Govt. job. One should possess the requisite qualification and fall in the prescribed age limit. While filling the application form, the column about marital status - Married or Unmarried may be a little confusion for you. I presume that you got this doubt because this particular column and you can fill it as per your wish and this would not affect your job prospects.

    Really feeling very sorry about your position but it is not the end of the road. You can have a better life with confidence and continue your studies to complete the B Com degree through distant mode or on regular basis. Meantime, you can apply for your State level competitive examinations conducted for the posts of Clerks/Assistants etc for which the 10+2 qualification is the eligibility criteria. Even for the Central Govt. jobs and Railway recruitment, you can opt for the clerks' grade examination conducted by Staff Selection Commission and Jr.Clerks recruited by Railway recruitment Board. No issue, you can do it with right spirit.


  • I have read the question. You have stated that you are 25 years old and presently pursuing Graduation. However, you have not mentioned whether you belong to Unreserved (UR) category or Reserved (SC/ST/OBC) category. If you are from UR category, then you will get chance to appear in Government examination upto an age of 32 years. If you are from Reserved category, you will get opportunity to appear in Government examination upto 35-37 years of age.

    Considering your circumstances and your age, I would advise you to complete your Graduation within the stipulated 3 years. You are also required to prepare for Government examinations simultaneously. You must prepare for SSC or Railway competitive examination for Central Government jobs and/or your State PSC examination for State Government jobs. You are also required to learn typing, if you haven't learnt it already.

    Please be assured that your marital status (that you are divorced) has no negative impact on your recruitment. It is not a disqualification. Only in armed services, marriage is a criterion for recruitment ( a person must be unmarried to apply for armed forces recruitment).

    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

  • You told you are divorcee and 25 year old and studying first year of B.COM degree. First complete your Graduation and then try for government sector jobs because for most of the government jobs minimum educational qualification required is Graduation.And there is no restriction that divorced woman can't apply for government sector job.And if you want to join in government sector job with 12 th standard qualification, you can apply for:
    * Postal assistant and sorting assistant posts in postal department
    * You can join as LDC or Assistant in central government organisations by clearing the CHSL or MTS examinations conducted by Staff Selection Commission ever year.And age limit to apply for these exams is 18-25 years for General category, 18-28 years for OBC candidates and 18-30 years for SC,ST category candidates.
    Once you complete your B.COM degree, you can apply for government sector jobs like
    * Clerk and PO jobs in banking industry
    * You can apply for Civil Services Examination conducted by UPSC every year
    * You can join in central government job by cracking Combined Graduate Level examination conducted by Staff Selection Commission

  • Sorry to hear that you have gone through a divorce recently. You are in your 1st year and have started to think about your job prospects, It's very good.

    Please focus and complete you B.Com from a UGC recognized college.
    If you have an interest in teaching then you can complete your B.Ed via correspondence and prepare to take the TGT exam (trained graduate teacher)
    Staff Selection Commission exams are the other one you can focus on (age limit relaxation would be there based on the caste)
    Your divorce status does not affect your job prospectus or allotment, please check on your age cut off for the government exams.
    If you are from the general category and the age limit would bar you from getting a government job in the next 3 years (you would be 28 yrs), you can consider applying for government jobs like Lower Divisional Clerk,Junior Secretariat Assistant, Postal Assistant,Sorting Assistant and Data Entry Operator for which a 12th pass with service commission exam is enough. Once you join, you can complete your degree via correspondence mode from a recognised university and move up in your career.

    Good Luck.

  • Being a divorcee is not a disqualification for getting a government job. Your marital status is no way connected to getting a government job. After seeing your question, what I understand is you are in need of a job. You need not wait for applying for government jobs till you complete your degree. While doing your graduation you can apply for various posts for which 10 + 2 or Intermediate is the qualification required. Bank Clerk jobs, Grade IV clerk jobs in state government and central government departments are the posts for which 10 + 2 qualified people are eligible. There are many chances for getting these jobs. Try it out. If you feel it is required you can take coaching for clerk post written tests and that will give you additional chances to get the job. Railway recruitment board also announces posts for 10 + 2 qualified. Be looking for advertisements and respond.
    Wish you all the best for you.

    always confident

  • By being a divorcee, would not impact your future prospects in relation to your career. As is evident from your narration that you are persuing B.Com but the mode of the course has not been indicated. However, you should ensure that your current course is from a recognised university having UGC - affiliation so that after passing the same, you can apply for a number of jobs such as Bank Probationary Jobs of different banks including private ones. Such examination would need thorough preparation and it would be better to undertake the help of an eminent institute for the preparation.
    State - level administrative services may also be tried if interested.
    With your patience and hard labour, you can qualify Civil Services Examination and and a prestigious post like IAS can be achieved.
    You can persue B.Ed after your graduation to make teaching line as your profession.
    You can appear for the staff selection commission in order to grab the post of LDC/ UDC etc.
    You have not indicated your category to which you belong to since different categories enjoy concessions in relation to age - concession. Relaxation of age concession would be maximum if you belong to SC/ ST categories.

  • No divorce is a personal matter. It does not impact to your career. You don't need to worry about. You can get a job in private sector as well as in government sector. As you said you are in a bcom 1st year so two year is left because Bcom is a three year degree programme. If you are intrested in accounting then after Bcom go for Mcom(Master of Commerce). Choose any reputed college and do it with any recognized university. If you wants to become CA(Chattered Accountant) and CS( Company Secretary) then you can also taking an admission in any good institute like Navkar institute. Eligibility for CS foundation(company secretary) is level 10 + 2. There are many institute you can search online as per your requirements. If you are not intrested in accounting then you can either go for a MBA after Choose a right career according to your interest. If you are searching for job then there are many vacancies comes out from banks of bank clerk and bank probationary officer.

  • I am no stranger to the governmental jobs. I think that if you do know what you are doing and if you do like the job you do, you are plenty eligible to do the job. You have to focus on the skills and your abilities. You have to think how you can contribute to the job being done and how you can better the work of the government. Gladly, I know that people who work in the government have plenty of communication and organization skills and can prove that they are worthy. You'd also better look at the federal resume writing services reviews soon.

  • Sign In to post your comments