You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Professional Courses

    Can I go for Bachelor of Social Work

    Aspiring to study social work? Looking out for the eligibility criteria and minimum percentage requirement? On this page, find answers to all your questions.

    In 2017 I have cleared my 12th with 64.20 percentage in aggregate in science stream and want to do my graduation in Bachelor of Social Work.
    Can I go with this course for my graduation as I will be applying under general category? If no then which course must I choose for my graduation?
  • Answers

    10 Answers found.
  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) and Master of Scial Work (MSW) are nowadays taught in most of the universities of the country. The eligibility conditions are different in different colleges/universities. Generally a student with 50% marks in X+II are eligible to appear in the entrance examination conducted by various universities for this purpose. You are required to check the website of particular university/college (where you want to take admission) to know the eligibility conditions for admission in BSW.

    I would also state that Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) is the most prestigious educational institute in this field. However, admission in TISS is based on very tough entrance examination.

    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

  • Once you complete your intermediate or +2, you are eligible for further studies. There are many educational institutes offering social work graduation course. The admission procedure is generally basing on the percentage of your + 2. But some University and colleges may also conduct entrance test for all those who qualified in +2 with minimum 50%. Then based on the rank in the entrance test seats will be allotted. There is every scope you will get a seat. Try for a good institute and join that institute for a better career prospectus.

    always confident

  • There are many colleges and universities which have Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) course and you can find one near your area easily.

    The eligibility is class 12 with at least 50% marks. In some institutions, admission is based on the percentage of class 12 while some will be having their own entrance test and depending upon your performance in that you will get admission in BSW.

    You are in science stream and you can try for engineering courses also. As science is so far your core area you can consider trying your career in pure sciences or technology as per your interest. You will have various options for teaching line also.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • You can go for this bachelor's degree if you are interested in it. Do a research about the opportunities in future after you have finished this course. Since your stream was science, you can find it easy pursuing this course. The admission process varies from institutions and it would be better if you chose an Institute/University which provides future career guidance/placement or at least scholarship.

    Remember to take a course which interests you more and has more job opportunities in future.
    Good Luck.

    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

  • Graduation degree with the stream of Social - science is a right combination for you if you're u have the aptitude for the social service. You need the see the different web - sites so as to search a right institution for the perusal of the course and also find out if the university offering the course is recognised with UGC.
    There are a few prominent institutions conducting written tests to screen the eligibility status of the candidates. You may select one such Institute with your thorough preparation to enhance your potential in this area.
    Later you can persue a management - course in social - science from Xavier - institute of Social - science in order to have extra edge in your qualification.

  • Thanks for your guidance
    Can I opt for sociology in my graduation? Actually I'm confused about both of the BA hons sociology and BA hons social work. Which one according to you can be better for me with higher scope of jobs in future?

  • For the purpose of future career, undoubtedly BSW and MSW are much better than B.A(Sociology) and M.A(Sociology). But your inclination to a particular subject is more important to consider. You should not study any subject in which you have no interest or minimum interest only for the sake of career.

    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

  • You are exploring the option of a degree in social work or sociology. Lot of people get confused with social work and sociology, although both are related, their study and applications are different. In simple terms, Sociology is the study of humans and Social Work is application of the lessons from study of humans to solving problems and helping people in need. One could say sociology would be more for teaching,research and an academic career while Social Work is more of a professional career wherein you will be interacting and advising on methods to solve people issues.

    It would be a better option to take Social Work bachelors course as it would cover the main areas of ethics,economics, psychology and also Sociology.

    For Social work you need a passion combined with humane thoughts like helping people in need. Often the problems will be wide ranging and the renumeration may not be very high in comprasion to other jobs. You need to invest a lot of your time, have patience and the skill to listen, analyse and counsel people with a touch of reassurance,sympathy and kindness.

    The openings would be in any large corporate hospital,public organisation dealing with people or NGO groups for adutls and children.

    If you have the aptitude, then pursue
    1.B.S.W or B.A Social Work
    2.Then you can opt for M.S.W or M.A and
    3. move on to even a PhD if you are interested.

    The top places in 2016 included

    a.TISS, Tata institute of Social sciences, Mumbai, a premier institute with low fee structures. (
    b.Department of Social work,New-Delhi, Delhi University.(
    c.Madras School of S.W,Chennai
    To get an insight into Social work as a profession, please read this link

  • Thank you sir it really helps a lot.

  • Yes, Bachelor of Social Work is the best option. You can go with that course. This course is actually for a mature students and for those who want to bring a change in the society which may include helping the repressed and unprivilleged. You can understand the meaning through the name of course "social worker". It refers to various services designed to aid the poor and aged people and increase their welfare. This course enables one to become a social worker who can help people suffering from homelessness, poverty, viloence, abuses and diseases like cancar, AIDS etc. There are many reputed institute and universities who offers BSW. you can go with IGNOU university. The minium duration of completing this course is 3 year and maximum duration is 6 years. It is available as full time course or through correspondence. The eligibilty to apply for this course is 10+ 2 from any recognized board.

  • Sign In to post your comments