You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Career Guidance

    Switching career from IT to Teaching

    Interested in teaching profession but joined in IT field and wants to know .how to shift to the profession of passion. Please check this page to know the valuable suggestions from our experts

    I have 4 years of experience in IT. I do not feel motivated to work here. From beginning I had passion for teaching( either high school or college), however somehow I landed in IT.
    If I want to switch to teaching field, how can I proceed
    I have done Bsc in computers and MCA in 2013 from reputed university.
    Please suggest
  • Answers

    7 Answers found.
  • You need to think twice prior to switching over to your existing profession. You have to consider the benifits which you are enjoying currently in terms of perks and the ultimate growth of your career in the years to come. Similarly, in case of change - over to teaching profession, you will have to consider its impact in your immediate future on both the angles - pay - structure in which you will be put to as a result of such change and its overhaul effect on future.
    If you think upon the long term persepectives, there will be a substantial growth of career and the same growth may not be visible in the former one.
    However, you can devise some ways so as to derive some pleasure with teaching profession. You may join some coaching institute imparting your valuable teaching in the line for which you have a passion - say in Physics and such teaching can be continued in Saturday and Sunday when you will be having your weekly - off from your organisation. Since you are a confirmed employee of IT - industry, you will have to intimate the same to your personnel department and no objection certificate is to be obtained prior to teaching up your teaching profession.

  • If you are passionate about teaching then for Govt jobs you have to either go for NET or enroll in BEd. You have to check your age eligibility also before venturing in these prerequisites for teaching in Govt colleges or schools.

    For private institutions these are not the mandatory qualifications and you can join some computer institute where you can use your computer knowledge in teaching or tutorials.

    As you are already in a good career stream you have to decide these crucial things in life based on your personal perception about the balance between the financial and personal interest so that you can take a conscious decision in the matter.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Since you are a Post Graduate, you can opt for the post of lecturer in any institute or college as you love to be a teacher. If you want to work in a Government college, you have to appear for the Examination known as NET and some states as SLET. There is nothing wrong to switch over to the field of interest as you are now established one field with 4 years experience. While continuing in the present job, you can make effort to swtich over to the area of your interest. But think before you leap and take a right decision. If you opt for B Ed to take up teaching profession, it may prove to be a bad idea as you have to leave the present profession and can't be assured of a comfortable job. as said by elders, "A bird in hand worth two in the bush". If you want to shift over, just make an effort while continuing in the present job.


  • You have your Bsc and MCA with four years of experience in IT. many struggles to get a good job in the industry now. I respect your decision or desire to change the career direction now. Please consider the financial commitments, outstanding loans, children's education plans and major responsibilities. Have a rough idea of the money you receive every month, including all the fringe benefits before and after tax, it would give an idea what would be your expectations and what a teaching career would pay you.

    For a government job as a teacher with PG qualifications, you need to take up the UGC NET or State equivalent of this exam. The NET exam comes with an age limit, for example for the UGC NET 2018, the age limit is 28 years as of 1st Jan 2019. There is an age relaxation for reservation candidates or differently abled people up to 5 years.

    You can choose to write th TGT or PGT exams to become a teacher of Computer in Government and KV schools. ALl these will need a B.Ed course before you can be eligible for the TGT/PGT exams. Some states have an age limit of 32 or 36 years for these exams, please check this and add the time taken for you the enroll and finish the B.Ed course.
    In some private institutions, teachers are recruited with a flexible age limit, again this depends on the region and the teaching entry level.

    If age is on your side and you do not have major financial commitments, then pursue your dream to change career, make ground plans and the if possible opt for a part-time employment, enroll for BEd by distance mode from IGNOU and move on.

    If age is on the wrong side and you have unavoidable commitments financially, then please be practical before changing over.

    Midlife crisis is more common than we believe it to be, it would often be seen around the 40s but now it's common around 35s. Apart from being caught in the monotonous life, being unhappy, dissatisfaction with employment is a key finding. It takes a couple of years to passby, we can find many articles and how to deal with it on the web.

  • I think you can carry on with your job.Its not that easy you might think to become a teacher and you'll not get the salary much in the start and some rejections happen also at the time of first demo at the front of students and senior teachers. Teaching is a profession you have to work hard to be senior as a teacher in school or college and whenever you go for teach. You did not mention at what level you wants to become a teacher. If you wants to become a teacher at top level or in colleges then you required teaching skills for that you need B.Ed(Bachelor of education) Degree. If you wanfs to teach in universities then it is essential for you to clear NET exam. You need to clear TGT and PGT exams. You got the certificate after clearning the exam which is validate for 7 years. With TGT, you can teach 6th to 12th class students and with PGT you can teach higher secondary candidates. All the best and I wish your passion of teaching becomes true in future or sooner.

  • Not so much difficult. My cousin earlier did IT job for a year then went to teaching for about 5-7 years and again turned back to IT.
    1. You might not get chance to teach in Engineering colleges as they do need M.E./M.TECH education required.
    So choices are limited like in B.C.S / M.C.S / B.Sc Computer science / Diploma engineering.
    2. First make your mind ready for salary offered as in teaching salary is very less comparatively in IT switching jobs makes progress in salary or C2C.
    3. If your mind is ready they start job hunt for teaching position. You will surly able to get it as you have industry experience.

    All the best.

    Life Is Beautiful

  • Once you have a master degree in Computer Applications, you can go for teaching jobs. There are many colleges where courses like B.Sc(Computers), BCA and MCA are offered. Thay may prefer you for teaching posts. Many Private colleges will offer you a lecturer post. But the scales are very less. If you really want to get UGC scales there are two options. The first option is to get qualified in the NET examination. The second option is to obtain PhD degree. If you qualify in NET you will get JRF, which is about Rs. 25,000/- per month. If you don't want to get fellowship you can get your name registered in a recognised university under a Recognised PhD Guide. After getting qualified in the exam for lecturership you will get UGC scales. If you complete your PhD there is no necessity of NET. You will get UGC scale. So please think twice and decide whether you want to register for PhD and try for private lecturer jobs or continue in the present job. Money part only you have to think of.

    always confident

  • Sign In to post your comments