• Category: Other Jobs

Telecom Engineer - 7 Years of Exp

Confused between sticking to the current job or doing higher studies in the telecom domain? Wondering which is a better option? Check out this page for advice from experts for resolving your worries.

In 2010 I completed my BTech course in Computer Science from not so well known college. I am working in a renowned Telecom company for past 7 years which involves working in lots of complex revenue management related projects. The company has delivered many international projects and I have also travelled a lot to many other countries.
    Now I feel stagnant in my career. Can you give your expert advice on -
    Is it a good time to do the masters course in Telecommunication field from Europe or US university or try to excel more in my current company and try to move up in the ladder?

• Telecom industry in India at present is not doing very well. Many industries are downsizing the manpower. The well established Tata Teleservices is at the fag end of closing it. Many people are getting afraid of their jobs. So I may not feel convenient for somebody to expect much future there unless otherwise the candidate is a very good candidate and at any cost, they want the services. You are on the field and you know these facts better. So it is always fine to sharpen our axe. Hence I feel going for higher studies is a geed option. But I never advise you to leave the job and go for higher studies. Think of doing post-graduation while continuing in the job. Many foreign Universities are offering off camps courses which you can pursue. But if you feel you will get scholarships for studying abroad then you can go for that course by applying long leave in the present company.

• Before I would suggest you to do masters in telecommunication engineering, I would suggest to write down the pros and cons in your work place. As far as I know telecommunication engineering has more flexible work options. Although there is lot of working hours per week, the working hours are quite flexible. You must weigh advantages and disadvantages. One of the major disadvantage is the security risk. But still it is manageable. I find very interesting job because they are sending you different countries for on-site projects. This will give you exposure to different cultures. This may help you to develop your personality as well.

In order to climb higher in your career, yes I would suggest you to do masters in Telecommunication Engineering. This my kick start your exposure widely and also may give you a better pay. The general rule in any profession is fine tune your skills. Get more degrees or get certification courses. Rather than switching careers where you need to start as beginner or from zero level, it is better to polish your present skills.

Good Luck.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• TThis response is marked as DELETED by the admin.

Before I would suggest you to do masters in telecommunication engineering, I would suggest to write down the pros and cons in your work place. As far as I know telecommunication engineering has more flexible work options. Although there is lot of working hours per week, the working hours are quite flexible. You must weigh advantages and disadvantages. One of the major disadvantage is the security risk. But still it is manageable. I find very interesting job because they are sending you different countries for on-site projects. This will give you exposure to different cultures. This may help you to develop your personality as well.

Good Luck.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

• Telecommunication is an important area where new innovations are taking place and companies are changing their strategies time to time. As you have already acquired a lot of experience in a particular line in telecommunication, it will be advisable to excel in that only and try to climb up the ladder.

Please keep a watch on job portals and advertisements of big companies where you find that your expertise is mentioned. In such case you can apply there and negotiate for a good package.

Do not leave your core strength at this stage as the modern age is of specialists in their own areas.

• Have you heard of the & year itch in a marriage or at work? There are many people with the psychological feeling of being unhappy at work.

It is not wrong to feel that you are stagnant. The Indian Telecom sector is in turmoil with rate cuts and highly competitive pricing. Change your routine, start a simple hobby or a non-stressful course for a few weeks. Then have a realistic view of your current job and your achievement.

One method employed by international firms to improve employee satisfaction yet retain them is to work on KSF- KnowledgeSkillsFramework.

Identify the areas where you have potential to grow in terms of your knowledge and skill, then develop a framework of how to achieve it (time and money) 'Without' quitting your job. By the time it is 6-8 months, you can assess yourself about how you feel.

Many people give up their current jobs and try to re-invent the wheel and find that it was much better earlier. If you still feel it would help you do an online course or a distance education model.