The errors in applicant's name or surname will cause a potential problem in government job applications. If it was your mother, father or spouse's name mistake then it won't be bothered much. To make the correction in your educational certificates do the following:
1. Take an affidavit with notary with your corrected name which you want to reflect the same in all your educational certificates.
2. Give a newspaper ad stating your corrected name. National and local. Note that this advertisement is mandatory. Keep those newspapers with you once published containing your ad for future reference.
3. Go to your college and submit a requisition letter stating to re-issue a new certificate with corrected name. Attach the photocopy of affidavit and newspaper ad as prrof/reference. Your college principal will sign the application.
4. You can either approach your affiliated university by taking the application by hand or you can forward to university through your college. The former method will make the process soon. You can submit the application to the university by self with processing fees which you need to pay through demend draft (DD). Concerned university authorities will guide on whose name the DD should be taken. Generally it will be in favour or Registrar or Vice Chancellor. The DD must be drawn at centralised bank.
5. Once submitted, university authorities will give some time lapse within which your certificates will be isssued with corrected details. If there is a provision for tatakl, ask for the same and the DD cost will be little higher than normal.
You have to follow the same with your 10th marks memo as well. The difference is that you need to approach your school principal first and then to the Board of Secondary Education.
Once your educational certificates are corrected with appropriate names, you can update the same in your Aadhar card, PAN Card and Voter ID card. For correction in these details, follow the instrucions below:
1. For Aadhar card correction, you can approach any nearest UIDAI centre or through online. For online corrections go to
2. For PAN Card correction you can apply online here:
If not possible for there will be several third party agents who can do this for you in less than one week. They charge their service charges.
3. For Voter ID corrections you can contact nearest Mee Seva center or through online:
Get all the corrections, educational and identity proofs before applying to any government jobs.
Dr. V. Shashikanth