• Category: IT jobs

Switching from BPO to IT industry

Planning to switch from BPO to IT industry? Looking out for information about which courses to opt for and get into IT industry? On this page, find advice and suggestions from experts.

I have 6 years of experience into BPO completely into voice from different domains. Now I am planning to switch to IT industry.
    Could you please suggest me which course would be suitable for me?
    I am a commerce graduate and completely IT or technical illiterate?
  • #150205
    Since you have experience in the voice you can get the job as customer care executive in IT industry.Since you are commerce graduate getting into SW development is not possible unless you do MCA.
    You can also try in other industries like consumer electronics, automotive, Mobile etc as customer care executive

• #150208
    IT industry looks for people with IT Knowledge and experience. So if you want to have a career in that line you should make your self-educated in that line. You are a commerce graduate. So first get yourself equipped with some certification course in computer applications. Once you get a certificate with your experience and the certification you can try for an IT post. You can try some administrative junior position in IT industry. But many good industries will consider only people who have some knowledge in IT.

• #150226
    Having 6 years of BPO experience, switching from BPO to IT is not an easy thing. Nowadays, companies who are hiring for roles in IT jobs look for the experience than certification courses. If you are working in a high profile company like TCS, Infosys or any other, then I am sure they will have an IT services area which you can probably try to enter. I know companies such as Infosys and TCS has BPO and IT services and few people depending on business reason or personal reasons switch from BPO to IT.

If your company is a pure BPO related, then you have no choice other than doing some courses and trying to find a job. I would suggest doing some courses related to Big Data, DevOps as these are emerging things in the IT field now. Once you have finished the courses, create a LinkedIn profile and try to connect with the recruiters in the companies you are looking for a job. Make sure that your profile looks attractive and catchy with proper keywords. Most of the IT companies are on LinkedIn so you can connect with them and be in touch with them to get to know about any job opportunities.

Rizwan

• #150270
    With your considerable experience in BPO( with your submission it is six odd years experience), you have to think of alternative ways - how best you you can compete your self with the aspirants already working in the IT profession.
    The employers recruiting their aspirants for IT field would look into certain attributes with which their aspirants are endowed with such as strong fundamental of basics of short ware related domains such as Java, C++, Oracle etc and a better presentation skill. Moreover, you will be tested for your patience in the interview apart from your problem solving methods in the crisis.
    Though basically, you are not from from the computer - stream, you need to acquire the essential skills which will ultimately strengthen your capability in the software profession.
    NEET and APTECH are the pioneers in imparting education in the software field. Choose some certification for which they have recommendation for you. The GNEET course covering four year duration would be most ideal for you for the coverage of the different modules of IT related field. Side by side, your certification in Java, Oracle or C++ from either of the institutions would be helpful.
    You may start your career in a modest company and gain experience in the IT field. With such an humble start and you qualification in IT field can help you to gain an employment in a MNC company at a later stage.

• #150345
    Switching from BPO to IT field I feel will be a very steep learning curve for you as you are saying you are not into the technical field. Still, if you are interested you have to learn important programming languages like Java, Python, Ruby, Perl etc to make yourself a strong candidate for the position. Even after that since you do not have practical exposure to software development projects you may have to start from 0 experience level as a fresher.

Instead, I would suggest that if you want to go into IT field do not go straight into development as it will be a tough job for you. It's better if you try to enter an IT company in Software testing positions. Here you would not be required to know the programming and do all the courses. Here you simply need to test the software applications from the end user point of view. For example, you will need to verify all the functionalities of a website like clicking the links, typing username, and password, register user etc. This testing at a user level is called black box testing as it does not require knowledge of the internal code of the application. The testing job will be comparatively easy for you to start with and later when you are comfortable and if interested you can slowly ramp up on software development and try for that role.

• #153314
    As someone who started with the BPO job initially and later working as a Software Developer in one of the biggest automobile giant in the world, let me tell you steps you need to take into action.
    Start Preparation:
    If you have night shifts or day shifts, make sure, in between when you sit idle for sometime, like having a tea break, or lunch/dinner break, make sure to avoid wasting time and come to coding platforms and make your profile. Now you need to also research, which technology is a current buzz and why it is booming? This is the most important question.

Practice Coding Everyday:
    I used to practice one coding problem everyday. This helped me shifting my naive mind towards programming mind. I learnt it step by step. I made sure, I never practiced programming questions orally, unlike many people who wish to be a better programmer and fails eventually. So be consistent. Keep a note book nearby, write the logic first and try to encode it in programmig language. Choose a language which is easy to Install, and is widely used if you wish to learn code. Also blend it with Technology later on.

Make a Good Profile:
    Start making a good profile on platforms where candidates show their profiles for recruiters. Mention your skills, education etc. Everything must be genuine, and do not bluff about anything. Use proper keywords, and add programming language skills. Also make sure you mention the fact that you are coding on various coding contest, and show their profile link as well.

Networking and making connections:
    It is very important you connect with right people, who can help in referring you for various job profiles in their company. There is a huge referral bonus and you just to find people who are willing to grab this opportunity. Learn from seniors, and talk to them, how they made a switch.

Remember, success comes with continous efforts. Never compare yourself with anyone who got work without much effort or by sheer luck. Those are not our vision. All we can do is work and we will do it best.

Iti Tyagi
    "Soar to Success"

• #153315
    Its not easy to do that if you are computer iliterate. In my opinion you have to do some course in learning computer language and things like oracle, jawa etc ( more you can ask IT professionals, wherever is trending these days). Otherwise your search of a job and switching to IT sector is minimal. No doubt It sector prefers people having degree like BTech or MCA in such case when you don't have an exposure, it is difficult for you so its better to stick to your present job profile or do some needed courses to change your job profile.
    Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide