You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Education

    PG abroad (UK) after MBBS in India

    Do you want to pursue PG in Medicine in UK and interested to know about the relevant examinations? See this webpage of ISC to know few suggestions given by our Experts to guide you properly.

    I am a 3rd yr MBBS student in India. I would like to pursue post graduation abroad especially in UK. Please help me with the right guidance. What should all exams I take up?
    I would also like to speak to some of the PG students abroad if I could get their contact.
  • Answers

    5 Answers found.
  • You have certainly taken a great decision.But many of the top doctors in India do their post graduation in the UK and have done it from last several decades.
    In the UK, the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London are few of the top colleges in the world for studying medicine.
    For doctors, it's relatively easier to get the residency because of the high demand for the professionals. Every year, UK releases list the shortage of occupants.
    The procedure isn't complicated, you apply to the university in your final year of studies which increases your chances to get a scholarship also. It is required to give entrance exam as well.
    The 2 primary entrance exams for studying medicine in the UK are UKCAT and GAMSAT. Both are different from one another.
    Oxford and Cambridge use BMAT and Exeter & Plymouth use GAMSAT. There are some universities where they don't ask for these exams also.
    UKCAT is an online based test which includes 5 sections: Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Decision Analysis, Situational Judgement Test.
    GAMSAT is a paper-based test: Reasoning in the Humanities and Social Sciences, Essay writing/Communication and Reasoning in the Physical Sciences.
    Oxford and Cambridge use BMAT and Exeter & Plymouth use GAMSAT.
    Preparation for these exams can be time-consuming, it's best to start a year before.
    All the best to you.

    always confident

  • You are doing your MBBS in India, keen to pursue post graduation in England. You DO NOT NEED the GAMSAT, UKCAT or BMAT exams as all these are exams for starting the MBBS in England.

    For postgraduation in the UK, the format is very well streamlined

    1.Once you finish your MBBS from a recognised college in India (listed in the WHO registry of recognised medical colleges) you would start the program of FT , this is a TWO-year 'Foundation training' program that is similar to the house-surgeon or internship post of Indian training. Here you focus on the basics of clinical history, investigations, getting access, prescribing drugs etc.

    2. After two years of FT comes the CT 'Core training' of two years. This post is like a Senior house officer or a non-PG resident job.

    3.After CT comes the ST, this 6 years of 'Speciality training' enables you to become a consultant in the field of your choice.

    4.For instance, after MBBS, if you intend to become a surgeon in England, you will do FT1, FT2, then CT1, CT2, then move on to ST1-6 and then take the final exit exams.

    Please go through this link for surgical training (

    5. Since you have not mentioned your postgraduate choice, let's take some examples. Along with the training mentioned above, you will need to take the membership and the final Fellowship exams in the speciality of your choice.

    MRCS and then FRCS for surgeons including orthopaedics.
    Primary and final FRCA for anaesthetists.
    MRCP and FRCP for internal medicine specialists.

    6. Since you are an overseas candidate you will need PLAB (some specialities have an exemption) + IELTS, a GMC registration and meet the visa/work regulations to be employed as a doctor in training in the NHS England.

    7. There is a program called as MTI - Medical training initiative which focusses on getting overseas doctors to have higher medical/surgical training in the UK. Many Royal colleges have this program ( This would be useful for you.

    8. I would suggest try and meet consultants or medical college staff who have a UK qualification and interact with them. Also, browse through GMC website ( and the royal college website of the speciality of your choice.

    9. Try to have a presence in the academic section by presenting papers, undertaking short audits and studies while you do your internship under the guidance of your teachers. Keep a good logbook of what all you learn and do during intership, it will help you.

  • Mr. Natarajan.
    Thank you sir, if I want to take up non-clinical subjects which are research based, like Biochemistry (which I am interested in) then what is the procedure? Thanks in advance sir.

  • You are looking at becoming a Clinical Biochemist, who will be interacting with the consultants from other specialties and doctors in the hospital and the community. The pathway is five-year training program like I mentioned earlier.

    There are two common routes to become a clinical biochemist.
    One, after a basic relevant degree which gives you a chance to apply for the NHS Scientist Training Program (this would suit you).

    Two, as a registered clinical scientist with experience of working in biochemistry. Here you would be eligible for Higher Specialist Scientist Training.

    This link gives the information (
    Apart from our Indian MBBS, you would have to work towards getting an FRC Path, a fellowship exam that would enable you to become a consultant.

    You can contact the associations that govern Clinical biochemists for further information.
    You can also, browse the Association of Clinical biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine advise (

    Many doctors do a research job in England, that will enable them to apply for Higher medical or surgical training. Such jobs, of course, help you stay in England, get an additional qualification/experience and most importantly gives you a chance to interact with people who are already in the system. You can try this option based on the visa/work regulations that keep changing time to time.

  • As there is a requirement of medical professionals in many foreign countries, there are opportunities to do PG in those countries after completing MBBS in India.

    Such opportunities are very well in the UK also and these universities offer courses in MD, MS, PG Diploma etc in a particular line of speciality. There are options in biochemical disciplines also.

    These universities have their own criterion for admission to these coveted courses and they may require experience of house job or internship or medical practice etc. While applying in these sites please see carefully whether you are fulfilling that criterion or not. Some of them may insist on English speaking proficiency also.

    Some of the top such institutions where you can try are - University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Cardiff University, University College London, Imperial College London, Queen Mary University of London, University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Sign In to post your comments