You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Indian Law

    Name correction of my name and fathers name

    Having a name mismatch in marksheets? Looking out for a solution to resolve this issue? Find ample advice from experts on this page.

    I did 10th in 2008 and my name and my father's name in 10th marksheet does not match with that 12th marksheet. The name is correctly written in aadhaar card.
    Now I am confused as I am preparing for govt. job. What can be the consequences in document verification?
    As I went to CBSE to correct my name in 12th as per 10th certificate but they are refusing to do it.
    What to do?
    What can I do to avoid rejection in document verification?
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • 1.The CBSE has strict guidelines to be followed to aviod document forgery issues and would often reject such requests unless it is via the proper channel. You need not worry unduly. You can get it recitified before you get selected and reach the document verification stage.

    2.As I understand ,you have your father's and your name that is not correct in your 10th Marks sheet. Please verify your other certificates (degree, PAN card etc have your names correctly mentioned including the initials).

    3.You need to have proper identity documents of your father and yourself that have the names correctly mentioned.

    4.Please approach a good Notary in your region who will guide you to get a legal affidavit done that states your proper name correctly. You can get one each done for your father.

    5.Then publish it in the local newspaper, one English and one vernacular language. Please preserve both the original newspaper cutouts. Then you apply to the CBSE board for the name correction certificate.

    6.The guidelines related to the CBSE name correction process is given here (

    7.The contact details for the relevant offices can be found in (

    8. The application form the name correction is ( The charges is around Rs 1000.00 and the second page of the form needs the signature of a gazetted officer.

    9. Please fill the form in your own handwriting and you will get the corrected marks sheet in 15 days time by hand or it would be dispatched by 7-20 days if you choose the postal delivery option.

    Enclosed is the first page of the form

    Delete Attachment

  • As per your narration, it is clear that your name and your father's name is correct in your 10th certificate and mark sheet and also in Aadhaar card but not correct in 12th mark sheet.

    Now you have to go for a legal affidavit in the matter which you can get prepared by a lawyer with due formalities and get that verified by a first-class magistrate.

    Once this is done you can apply to CBSE for the issue of the corrected mark sheet. Please remember that you will have to enclose a copy of some authentic document in favour of the correct names in respect of yourself as well as your father.

    These documents can be like Aadhaar card, Voter card, Driving licence, PAN card etc.

    Knowledge is power.

  • The official certification site of CBSE will also help you. Please visit this site and read the rule of correction here. Hope this page will help you.

    Honesty is the best policy.

  • Name,father's name,Date of birth are the basic details which required till our last breath for anything to be proved and they should be similar and a correct one in all documents. The school certificate for seniors and birth certificates for youngsters become a valid one. As the date of birth is deciding matters in one's life till his end,much care should be taken in the beginning itself. School certificate,college certificates,aadhaar,Pan card,voter Id, driving licence should tally each other. You immediately approach in person to the college authorities and get corrected. No correspondences will yield good result rather than personal approach. Your delay will make the matter more delay.

  • As you have not followed the correct procedure to be followed for correction of documents the CBSE refused your request. If you follow the correct procedure they will do the needful.
    First of all, verify all your certificates and identity cards. All should have the same name, DOB, Father's name and other details. If you find that there are discrepancies in some documents you should take action with respect to all documents at a time so that you will gain time. Otherwise, it will be a problem afterwards.
    The first step is to approach the institute where you have studied and show them the difference in name between 1oth and 12th certificates and ask them how to get it corrected. Most probably they will directly get it done as the 10th certificate is the basic document for the Name of the Candidate, Father's name and DOB. They may ask you to apply in writing to CBSE administration through the institute where you have studied. They will give the list of documents to be attached to that letter. You attach all the required documents and submit to the institute where you have studied and they will forward it to the concerned and authorities and the action needed will be taken.
    If they ask for a notary, you please approach the notary. But I feel it is not required as basically, your SSC certificate is having the correct name and other details.
    The details of fees to be paid and other details will be given by the institute you studied. It may not take much time and within a month you will receive the corrected certificate.

    always confident

  • As a long time has elapsed, CBSE is not acceding to the request of correction of your father's name. So, you have to sign an affidavit before a First-class Magistrate of your city indicating the correct name of your father. You would have to publish classified advertisements in two newspapers indicating the correct name of your father as well as the mistake in your Board certificates. You have to preserve the affidavit and original advertisements permanently.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • Sign In to post your comments