You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Medical Jobs

    How to join as junior resident in government medical college

    Planning to work in a government medical college? Looking out advice and guidance to join the same? On this page out ISC expert shall guide you regarding the exact procedure.

    I am a MBBS doctor. I was working in corporate hospitals after my degree but could not get much exposure or scope. Then I started to work in PHS on contract basis but basically interested in Obs and Gyn department. So I am planning to join any govt medical college in my favourite department. Can you guide me about how to join these govt college as jr?
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • Junior Resident:
    MBBS graduates are eligible for this post. They should register their names with Indian Medical Council/State Medical Council. Before actually getting into the job the candidate should complete their one-year rotatory internship. The age limit for Junior Resident is about 30 years for General candidates. This age limit may vary from State to state.
    The Junior Resident pay scales will be Rs 15,600-39,100 carrying grade pay of Rs 5,400 + other allowances as admissible Again these pay scales and allowances will vary from state government to another state government.
    The vacant posts will be advertised by the government and eligible and interested candidates may send their duly filled applications along with all the documents asked for. There may be an interview and the candidates who fared well will get selected. There some central government institutes like AIIMS which will be publishing their vacancies through UPSC. The state governments will be published in newspapers. Please be watching for the posts and take necessary action.,

    always confident

  • After completing MBBS and internship one is elligible to apply for junior resident in various hospitals, medical colleges or medical institutes. One has to apply for this at different places.

    The junior resident has to work under a senior doctor and in fact, this is the best opportunity to learn and gain experience while one earns the salary also.

    Generally in big hospitals a junior resident will be doing night duty also in rotation that gives an experience of emergencies in the night when limited staff is available and one has to use ones knowledge and know-how to save the previous human life.

    Knowledge is power.

  • In all the big hospitals and medical institutions there is a demand of junior resident doctors as they are the people who manage the show round the clock. They work for long hours and are engaged in their work during this practicing phase.

    One can register in Indian Medical Association or state medical service board or apply directly to the advertised posts of junior residents. Based on the MBBS degree and a formal interview, generally these appointments are made. The remuneration is not very high but adequate as this is basically a learning and experience gaining phase.

    You can apply especially in the place of your liking and can join it as soon as you get a call to report on duty.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • There are many ways to gain exposure in the department of your choice. Working as an honorary, a resident or a trainee.

    I would suggest the trainee option is the best because you would be given formal training, it would lead to a degree at the end of the 2-3 year program and most importantly, the trainers would be duty bound to impart the standards prescribed.

    I would say, please use the junior resident post as a stop gap for a few months at the most. Working with someone, gaining experience and then going for post-graduation is an old concept wherein you would lose valuable time.

    If you are still keen on a JR job, it would be difficult in Government hospitals as the jobs need to be funded, advertised and then candidates taken in. There would be good competition for JR jobs as this would be the stepping stones in some good hospitals for the PG intake.

    Some reputed hospitals offer Non-PG resident jobs, these are service jobs that are filled in due to the heavy workload but none the less you would get good practical exposure.

    The best way is to contact the nearest Government hospital, speak to your professors with whom you have worked in the recent past and the internet

    1. There is one job at Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital (New Delhi), walk in interview on 30th May-1st June for a resident in OBG (

    2. There are 5 SR/JR jobs at Guru Gobind Singh Hospital, Delhi for this month (

    3. Also, check out forums like this ( which will have information that would be useful to you.

    4. Please also look into the charity run but busy maternity units in the cities and towns. These places have less of remuneration but have a wealth of experience to be gained.

    Keep an updated CV ready, your MBBS and state medical council registration, experience letter from your last job etc ready. Also, send letters/ email to the reputed medical colleges in your locality. For instance in Bangalore, the reputed OBG units would be at St.Martha's hospital, St.John's Hospital, Bowring Hospital etc.

    Based on where you live, I would suggest continuing in the corporate place, it will give you something to fill in the experience gap of your CV. Then while you look into the above, just drop in to meet the CMS or MS of the Government hospital to make a quick inquiry about JR jobs that are just finished or due to be announced.

  • It purely depends on what kind of position you like in Government Hospitals. For Junior and Senior Residency Posts the colleges conduct interviews. If you are interested in joining a particular State, then you must check the website of State Health Department. The institutions like AIIMS conducts written and interview examinations for residency. The Central Government Posts are filled by the doctors from Central Health Services. You can check the UPSC website for getting Post in Central Health Services.

    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

  • A person having MBBS/BDS degree can apply for junior residentship in a medical college if he/she has completed one year of internship. After completion of the internship, the MBBS/BDS degree holders should get themselves registered, obtain the registration number and prepare bio-date with particular reference to preferred areas of work and proper references.

    If the MBBS doctors want to work in Government medical colleges, they should regularly check the Employment News, major newspapers published from their states and the websites of the Government Medical Colleges, especially of their states. Such vacancies for junior residentship are intimated in these newspapers and websites.

    A junior resident in Central Government medical college/hospital gets around Rs. 75,000/- every month which changes in every six months with the increase in DA. A junior resident in State Government medical college/hospital gets around Rs. 65,000/- to Rs. 72,000/- per month depending upon the rate of DA in a particular state.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • Sign In to post your comments