You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Teaching Jobs

    How to be a professor in a Government College after MTech.

    Planning to become a faculty in an engineering college? Wondering whether MTech is eligible or PhD is necessary? Resolve your confusion by reading the eligibility criteria from our ISC experts.

    I am currently pursuing MTech in Mechanical Engineering (Spl in Design Engineering) from IIT(ISM)Dhanbad. I want to know whether it is mandatory to have a PhD for teaching in various engineering colleges in India?
    And what are the various ways by which I can apply for the post of Assistant Professor in Engineering colleges?
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • No. PhD is not compulsory to become a lecturer in government Engineering college. You can start your career after M.Tech as an assistant professor in any government college. For this, you have to clear your NET exam conducted jointly by CSIR and UGC for qualifying the postgraduates for lecturership. The details of the examination and the other details can be obtained from the CSIR website or UGC website.
    Once you are qualified in the above exam you can apply for lecturer posts in various government colleges and Universities against their advertisements. They may call you for an interview and will be selected based on your performance.
    Alternatively, you can do the following also. After completing your M.Tech join in any private engineering college as a lecturer. They don't ask you for your qualification in the NET examination. But they will not give you the scales also as per government scales. Once you join in the college you can register yourself for PhD to the university to which the college is affiliated and you can work for your PhD. After completing your PhD you can apply to government colleges and University for the posts against their advertisement. A candidate with PhD need not write the NET examination and he will be taken directly as a lecturer with all benefits in any college or university. You can do the needful as per your wish and convenience.

    always confident

  • Hello, To get a post of assistant professor in engineering colleges, you have to qualify GATE exam with marks much more than the cutoff marks. Minimum recommended qualifications for the post along with GATE score is M.Tech. in that respective branch. Every university/college releases notification about the vacant posts regarding particular subjects. After applying the scores of GATE, you have to clear descriptive papers followed by an interview to finally get in merit for the post. So keep eye on notifications and make sure to complete M.Tech.
    PhD might be mandatory for higher post in university or college but not for assistant professor post. All the best.

    Life Is Beautiful

  • If teaching is your line of interest, you have few options there and one of the straight action which you can plan is to try for lecturership in some private college. Generally these postings will be temporary in nature and the salaries also vary from college to college.

    During that time, parallely, you can prepare for the prestigious NET exam after qualifying which you are eligible to apply for lecturership in Govt colleges.

    If your academic record is impressive, you can get this assignment easily in private colleges. The salary structure may not be at par then that of the Govt colleges.

    You should not hesitate in teaching in coaching or tutorial classes for a short span as it will enhance your teaching skills and increase your experience in this field. The key to a productive and creative life is to engage oneself in one's line of interest.

    Knowledge is power.

  • A PhD would be needed at the later stages especially when apply for the Professor or Head of the Department posts. At the initial stages a PhD is not needed.

    If you have a Bachleor's degree in Engineering (without any lateral entry), you would be qualified to take up the GATE exams.

    Once you have a good score in the GATE exams and you complete your MTech, you please apply for the NET or the SET (National or State eligibility test) for holders of master's degree to become Assistant professors in their respective field.

    After this you apply for the post of an assistant professor. Once you join a reputed college and start working as an assistant professor, the next step would be to have 5 years of teaching experience to apply for the post of Associate Professor. Here your PhD would be welcome for any department to consider you for promotion. If you can enroll for a PhD by distance mode, then it would be a practical way up for the further promotions.
    IGNOU has PhD in Mechanical Engineering. (

    If you are going to take the route of PhD in regular mode and complete all your education, then you would be exempted from NET test but risk being overqualified for assistant professor jobs.

    For further details regarding the qualification for assistant professor job, please browse this (

    Delete Attachment

  • After MTech, one can apply in private colleges for lectureship. For Govt colleges one must qualify NET exam where a lot of people are appearing having ambitions to teach in Govt colleges in our country.

    If you have an inclination or interest and time to afford going for a research work in your core area, leading to a PhD degree then in that case you need not to qualify in NET and based on your PhD qualification can apply for a lectureship job in Govt or private institutions.

    Have you ever thought to start your own tutorial or coaching centre in association of other qualified and interested people so that you can have your own set up for teaching to various students in Engineering and technical studies. Alternately, you can join an already established set up also and now a days it is a well remunerative proposition.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • For becoming a Professor/Lecturer in any university you must needs to know about the eligibility so the eligibility criteria is :
    1. Qualify NET(National Eligibility Test) exam is mandatory for lecturer/professor.
    2. Your post graduation subject should be same as NET exam subject.
    3. You are a citizen of India.
    4. You should have post graduation degree.
    5. Your university should be recognized from UGC.
    6. You need 55% marks in post graduation for General category and 50% marks for reserved category.
    7. Age limit for junior research fellowship(JRF) is 28 years for general category. 3 years relaxation for OBC and 5 years relaxation for SC/ST.
    8. No upper age limit for lectureship.
    9. No restrictions on number of attempts.

    Phd is not mandatory, master's sufficient. You can go through an internet there are many university release recruitment for professor/assistant professor. As a fresh assistant professor you could earn Rs 16000 to 40,000 per month and after an experience you can earn Rs 50,000 to 60,000.

  • Sign In to post your comments