You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Teaching Jobs

    Is PhD or NET necessary to teach Assistant Professor in engineering colleges?

    Want to take up a job as an Assistant Professor in an engineering college in India? Find out from experts if it is mandatory to have PhD or qualify through NET in order to be able to teach in the position of an Assistant Professor.

    Currently, I am pursuing M.Tech. and since my interest lies in the field of teaching, I am planning to teach in Engineering colleges as an Assistant Professor.

    I have heard that for teaching in Govt. colleges as a permanent faculty you should be having PhD with postdoc or NET qualification but I'm confused since I have already qualified GATE. So do I have to qualify NET again and is it required for a person from an engineering background?

    I have also heard about CSIR-NET. Can anyone please elaborate on these topics and clear my doubts?
  • Answers

    8 Answers found.
  • To become a lecturer in a government college and to become eligible for UGC scales one should get qualified in the NET test. This exam is being conducted by CBSE but earlier it is being conducted by CSIR. Both the examinations are the same and there are no two tests. GATE score is nothing do with lecturer post. Earlier the teaching posts are Professors. Readers and Lecturers. But these days the designations were changed. Now they are called Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor. So for government college Post after your M Tech, you should get qualified in NET. The Candidates with PhD are directly eligible for the post of Assistant Professor. He need not write the NET exam.
    Many private colleges are taking M Tech candidates for lecturer posts but the scales are not as per UGC norms. They are different. I think I am able to clear your doubts.

    always confident

  • It is mandatory to qualify in NET test, organised by CBSE, for becoming eligible to apply for lecturership in Govt colleges. However private institutions do not insist for this pre-qualification.

    It will be better if you prepare for it and get it cleared soon so that you will have options to apply for lecturership anywhere.

    If you have interest in research and can afford it then you have option of going for PhD in which case you need not to clear NET but this will be a time taking affair as PhD on an average takes about 3-4 years.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • For joining private engineering colleges M.Tech and sometime B.Tech degree is considered sufficient. However, for joining Government Engineering colleges or reputed private engineering colleges, qualifying NET in the concerned subject is absolutely essential. PhD degree is desirable for joining as a Lecturer/Assistant Professor, but it is not essential.

    However, as you are a student of Computer Science and you have qualified GATE and NET is not conducted in Computer Science, you are not required to qualify NET to become a Lecturer/Assistant Professor.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • For eligibility to apply for lectureship in Govt colleges one has to qualify in the NET exam which is precisely known as CBSE - UGC - NET exam. This is held in many subjects including computer science and applications. Generally this exam is held two times in a year.

    Some colleges give NET qualified students preference in even the PhD registration. If you are interested to appear for this test you can download the earlier year question papers also from internet from many educational site ( like ISC or etc) for your reference.

    Anyway you have other options of applying in private colleges where this stringent condition is not there. You also have option of doing PhD if you have time and aptitude for the same after which you can apply for lectureship.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Yes, NET exam is manadatory for those who wants to become professor/lecturer. NET exam is conducted by UGC. Eligibility for NET(National Eligibility Test) :
    1. Master's degree with 55% marks for general category and 50% marks for reserved category(OBC/ST/SC) from a UGC recognized university.
    2. You post graduation subject should be same as NET exam subject.
    3. Final year students of master's also eligible to apply for NET exam.
    4. Phd degree holder also eligible for NET but their master degree should be completed before 19 sep 1991.

    To know how to teach and how to handle students you can do 2 year duration programme B.Ed(Bachelor of Education) and It is only possible after completing graduation with any stream.

    CSIR NET exam is for science stream students. To apply for this exam students must have science subject in master's. Both UGC NET and CSIR NET conducted for professor but UGC NET qualified candidates work with UGC coordinating institutes whereas CSIR NET qualified candidates work with CSIR research labs.

    Along with NET exam and master degree, one more thing you must need to have in yourself that is called skills. Skills required to have in Professor/lecturer are :
    1. Passion of Teaching
    2. Good communication skills
    3. Learning ability
    4. Innovative
    5. Career advice
    6. Genuine interest in the subject you are going to teach.

  • I humbly submit the following:-

    Qualifying NET is compulsory for lectureship in those subjects for which NET is conducted. But for Computer Science, NET is not conducted either by CSIR or by CBSE. So, for lectureship in Computer Science, qualifying NET is not required to become a lecturer/assistant professor in computer science.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • You are doing your M.Tech, interested in assistant professor teaching jobs. You are also GATE qualified, to be able to have a government teaching job and or research post, one needs to take the NET exams.

    The National eligbility test is conducted by UGC in humanity, language,sciences which include computer science and electronic science.
    This is basically for science subjects conducted by CSIR, council of scientific and industrial research of candidates who are keen to get into research. In this exam, you have the option to choose both lectureship.

    GATE alone is not enough for teaching jobs in Government and reputed private colleges.

    PhD is not mandatory for assistant professor posts. It is needed for associate professor and professor posts.
    If you have a PhD, then you can claim exemption from the NET exams.

    Candidates in taking their final exams of Masters are also eligibility for the UGC-NET exams.

    You can check the criteria for appointment of teaching faculty in Government engineering colleges

    Delete Attachment

  • Yes, NET examination is mandatory if interested for the teaching profession in the Engineering College apart from M.Tech. For the technical - faculty, UGC NET to be persued where as for the aspirants having chosen pure science stream, they would be required to appear CSIR UGC NET.
    Now there are certain conditions to be fulfilled prior to taking up UGC NET test organised by CBSE. Conditions are as follows-
    1) One should have attained at least 55 percent marks for the general candidates and for others belonging SC/ ST/ OBC a concession of 5 percent is offered with respect to scoring of marks in the qualifying examination.
    2) M.Tech degree must be from a recognised university and the same has approval from AICTE affiliatin.
    3) There should not be deviation of the stream between M.Tech and the stream opted for UGC NET.
    With the clearance of this test one would be eligible for the post of Lecturership in a government Engineering - college.
    Ph.D aspirants are exempted from UGC NET test.
    GATE has no relation with UGC NET examination. Of course, a better percentile in NET helps a candidate to persue M.Tech from a renowned Institution.

  • Sign In to post your comments