1. Those who remain attached with the Ministers in the personal staff are of two types. The first ones are Government employees who are in ministerial deputation. The second group is of non-Government employees (unemployed or working in the private sector).
2. Generally, a Cabinet Minister can take 16 personal staff. An MoS can take 12 personal staff. An MoS with independent charge can take 13 personal staff.
3. These employees' service is co-terminus in nature. This means those who are in Government Service go back to their parent office/cadre once the Minister loses/resigns his portfolio (because of any reason). Those who were originally unemployed, lose their employment.
4. The selection of personal staff is entirely the prerogative of the Minister (or sometimes he/she selects someone as per the order of the party boss). So, if you have an excellent relationship with a particular Minister, only then you can approach him/her to request to work in his/her ministerial staff. Otherwise, it is not possible.
5. Please remember that as you are already in Government Service, if you join in the ministerial staff of any minister, normal deputation rules (as detailed in DoP&T's O.M dated 17.6.2010 as amended from time to time) will apply to you.
6. The work of the ministerial staff does not have any fixed timing of work.
Beware! I question everything and everybody.