You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Teaching Jobs

    Regarding Government Professor

    Want to teach in an engineering college? Wondering how to proceed after BTech? Find advice from experts regarding the further process and how to prepare here.

    I want to become government professor. At present I'm in last year of BTech CE. Kindly suggest further process.
    What I should do next and how should I prepare for that. I'm a diploma student so my maths is not so good. Please let me know further process regarding this.
  • Answers

    8 Answers found.
  • To become a professor you should have Minimum Post graduate degree in the concerned subject. Once you complete your B.Tech, you should join in a good college and complete your M.Tech. Once you complete the PG course you can join as an Assistant Professor in any private Engineering college. Once you start teaching there you can register parallelly for Ph D and you can work in your Department and get your PhD degree, Then you are eligible for a teaching post in any government college also with UGC scales and all benefits. There you will start as Assistant professor and on experience, you will become Professor.
    If you want to start your teaching career with a government college you have to write the NET after completing your M.Tech.The test will be conducted every year. You will have to get qualified in this test. Once you are qualified in this test you will be eligible for lecturer post with UGC scales in any college.
    Alternatively, you can write NET and get selected for a scholarship for your PhD. Work full time for your PhD Once you complete your PhD you will become eligible for a teaching post.

    always confident

  • A. You are in your final year of B Tech, Civil Engineering. You also mention that you are a diploma student? does it mean that your B.Tech is a lateral entry? If yes, then please check that your diploma is from a UGC recognized college/university.

    B. Please complete your B.Tech, study hard to improve your mathematics and other weak areas and prepare for the GATE exams. I say this because once you have good scores in B.Tech and GATE, you stand a good chance in getting admitted into a reputed college for M.Tech which would be a good start towards an academic career.

    C. After your M.Tech, apply for the NET/SET exams which is the qualifying exams to join any government teaching college as a lecturer/assistant professor.

    D. Once you join, please focus on presenting and publish papers and while you gather experience as a teaching faculty, you can enroll for a PhD via distance education INGOU (
    From a lecturer in an engineering college, the promotions are often time bound to assistant professor, associate professor and then professor. For the last two, a PhD becomes mandatory in many colleges.

    E. In case age and finance is an issue, you can work in any of the private colleges after your B.Tech and then do your M.Tech by distance mode and then follow the above.

    F. Lastly, you need to keep track of the developments in Engineering education, there are many engineering colleges closing down, many streams stopped, UGC and AICTE is being planned to be replaced. So, keep track of this, by the time you complete your M.TEch, see how the scene is, if good pursue your academic dream, if not then quickly get into the private/public sector job.

  • If you have an ambition of becoming a lecturer and finally professor in a Govt college then it will require a lot of hard work and acquiring knowledge. Please remember that the job of a lecturer demands continuous studying and keeping oneself in touch with new technologies.

    Anyway, you have to make the base for your teaching career right from here by devoting more time to the academic part so that you will be in control of your know-how and skills while delivering lectures to the students in future.

    For applying for lecturership in Govt colleges one has to qualify in NET which is a national level test. So alonwith your preparations for M.Tech you must devote some time to solve the earlier years question papers of NET. It will also be advisable to solve model question papers available in NET guides or help books.

    Today, there are a number of qualified people trying to carve out a career in different fields including the field of teaching. So, expect a tough competion in that arena. To combat it, one has to work hard relentlessly till the objective is met.

    Knowledge is power.

  • You are a student of B.Tech. After completion of B.Tech, you are required to complete M.Tech, It would be great if you appear in GATE and pursue M.Tech. after qualifying GATE.

    After completion of M.Tech in your subject, if you want to become a lecturer or assistant professor, you have to appear in NET conducted by CBSE on behalf of UGC. UGC NET is conducted by CBSE on behalf of UGC. The minimum eligibility for General Category candidates is 55% in Master Degree in the concerned subject. The candidates are also required to qualify NET within two years of qualifying the Master Degree.

    The syllabus of NET in Engineering Sciences can be perused from the following link:-

    After qualifying NET, you are required to apply for a suitable faculty position in various engineering colleges including Government engineering colleges on the basis of vacancy as advertised.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • As your last year of B.Tech is running. After completion of this course you should pursue master degree M.Tech. Every candidate who belongs to IT field must need to have master degree in there particular field. It can be easy for you to get a job.

    Eligibility criteria for becoming government professor/lecturer in any university :
    A general category candidate who has secured minimum 55% marks in his or her master's programme and has also cleared the NET will be eligible to apply for direct recruitment as an assistant professor, according to draft policy framed by the UGC to modify the existing rules for appointment and promotion of university and college faculty members.

    Qualify NET(National Eligibility Test) is manadatory for lecturers/professor. Your post graduation subject should be same as NET exam subject. No upper age limit for lectureship. No restriction on number of attempts. Age limit for JRF(junior research fellowship) is 3 years relaxation for OBC category and 5 years relaxation for ST/SC. For general category it is 28 years.

  • If you are interested in this teaching line then continue your academic qualifications till post graduation in the subject of your interest or core area and then either apply in private colleges or first clear NET and then apply for Govt colleges.

    With post graduation in Engineering one can try to get a teaching job either in some Govt technical institutions or Govt/ Private Engineering colleges or coaching and tutorial centres. So there are opportunities but it mainly depends on the score one gets in post graduation and NET.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • There are various post in Government colleges and Autonomous colleges like IIT's and IIT aided.
    Posts are like Lecturer , Assistant Professor and Associate Professor. Here is eligibility criteria most of the engineering colleges keep.
    Lecturer Position -
    Required qualification is
    1. M.E./M.Tech. Degree in the concerned discipline preceded by B.E./B.Tech.
    2. Degree in the relevant branch with a First Class at both the levels or Ph.D. in the relevant science/arts discipline preceded by UG/PG degree in the relevant discipline with First Class and consistently good academic record in theprevious years
    3. Age less than 35 years on the last date of receiving application.
    Following is optional or desirable eligibility.
    1. Ph.D. Degree in the concerned engineering discipline from a reputed Institution .
    2. Teaching/Research/Industrial experience in the relevant discipline;
    3. Publications record in refereed scientific/ professional journals.

    Assistant Professor Position -
    Required Qualification is
    1. Ph.D. Degree or equivalent in the concerned discipline from a reputed institution, preceded by a UG/PG Degree in the relevant discipline in First Class (or equivalent) with consistently good academic record.
    2. Teaching/Research/Industrial experience in the relevant discipline for a minimum of 5 years
    3. Good publications record in refereed scientific / professional journals.
    4. Age less than 45 years on the last date of receiving application.
    Optional or Preferred qualification is
    1. Evidence of participation in sponsored research, continuing education and/or industrial consultancy programs. 2. Proven record of guiding UG/PG students and team work.
    3. Participation in professional society activities.

    For Associate Professor Position -
    All qualifications required for this position is same as Assistant Professor except experience required is 10 years and age should be less than 55 years.

    Since you are just graduating you should be eligible for teaching in polytechnic colleges. Meantime complete your post graduation. All the best.

    Life Is Beautiful

  • To be eligible for the Lecturership in a govt. engineering college, you will have to secure a M.Tech degree from a reputed institution with a high first class mark. So, you will have to think of cracking GATE with an impressive percentile ( 95 percentile or beyond that) so as to secure a seat in a premiur institution like IIT or a renowned Government - engineering college having excellent infra - structure for your persuasion of M.Tech course.
    With the brilliant score in your M.Tech course, you would be eligible to appear for the NET examination conducted by CBSE. Once you clear this test, you may apply for the vacant post of lectureship in a recognised Engineering - college. With your exposure in teaching, look out for an efficient guide working in a college with the provision of better staff and availabilities of relevant journals helpful in your Research - work. You have to work under guide and carry out your Research as assigned by your guide, an excellent work in this area will pave the way for the procurement of Ph.D.
    A doctorate degree in Engineering will land you a job in a Government - college. In the mean while, solve your present lacuna in Mathematics since, this subject is the backbone in understanding your relevant engineering with clarity.

  • Sign In to post your comments