You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Government

    Misspelled Father's name in all educational certificates except my id proof

    Have a spelling mismatch in name in any of the documents or id proof? Worried whether it will create any problem in document verification in a government job? Check out this page for advice from experts.

    My father name is spelled correctly in my aadhar card, DL and in revenue records. But in all my educational certificates it is mentioned incorrectly.
    Now recently I have applied for a Govt job or SSC exam. Will it create any problem at the time of document verification? Let me know if there any need to correct the name of my father.
  • Answers

    5 Answers found.
  • You have just applied for a Government job and now noticed that your father's name is incorrect in you educational certificates.

    This would be an issue at the time of document verification, you can rectify it before that. Please also check the birth certificate and caste certificate if it applies to you.

    First have at least two ID documents of father that has his name correctly printed. If not then he needs to get an affidavit done. The Notary or Additional magistrate would issue a correct name certificate for father, which would be accepted for your needs.
    Have copies of all the marks sheet and certificates.


    Draft a letter stating the father's name correction service you need and then enclose the relevant documents. Forward this to the 10th board via the prinicipal or Head of the institution from which you compeleted your 10th.


    It is the similar format with signature from the prinicpal of the school or college. The new certificates will be despatched to the respective school/college and then you have to collect it. It usually takes around 4 weeks for this service and a pre-set charge for the service has to be paid by you.

    If you have done your 10th and 12th via the CBSE board. The process is similar with the important point being to have an affidavit that states your father's name as you want it/correctly. There is a prescribed form ( and guidelines ( for the same. This can be done online or in the regional office close to you.


    Please check the university website (under which your UG or PG college comes under) for the provision and application form for name correction service and online facilities. Enclose the necessary documents and the payment for the prescribed fees.

    Please keep all the acknowledge copies and payment receipts so that you can quote if you experience delays in getting your certificates.

  • Any mismatch in the name of father across different documents is a matter of concern and is to be rectified at an earliest.

    Though it has come to your notice so late but still you can get the corrected certificates from the respective authorities.

    You have to apply to your education board office and deposit the necessary fee for each of the certificate correction separately. Nowadays you can apply online also.

    Similary, for your degree certificates you have to apply to the University office.

    Please remember that when applying for these corrections, you have to submit your documents along with the authentic documents depicting your father's name correctly. For example your father's Aadhar card or PAN card or driving license will suffice for the purpose.

    It will take some time to get these corrected documents from the respective offices and after that you will not face any inconvenience or embarrassment at the time of documents verification.

    If you have short time ahead for your next document verification session then you can parallely take help of a lawyer and get an legal affidavit prepared where all these differences and inadvertant mistakes are to be mentioned and to be certified that the misspelt name belongs to such and such person etc. This affidavit is to be countersigned by a first class magistrate under his seal.

    Wherever you are called and your documents are verified, show this affidavit in support of your documents.

    Anyway, by that time you will be receiving the corrected certificates and that will permanently slove the problem.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Any mistake in the father's name in the certificates will create a problem. Even though your IDs are having the correct name of your father, for a job your educational certificates are very important and they should be correct.
    You might have taken corrective action as soon as you noticed this in your SSC or Intermediate Certificate. That might have avoided the complications.
    Anyhow you try to get a birth certificate from the concerned authorities if you don't have it already. Please see that the name here is correct.
    Then you approach your high school authorities where you have studied SSC and Intermediate. As per the advice of the authorities there make a written application to the concerned board specifying the mistake in the certificate and attach the birth certificate copy or other two documents wherein your father's name is correct. Please submit them to the concerned authorities and they will forward it to the concerned board for rectification. The board after doing the needful will send the certificate to the school. You can receive from them.
    If you have a problem with your graduation certificate also you have to apply for correction through the college you have studied. They will do the needful and corrected certificates will be sent to the college from the university. If you are in an urgency I suggest you go personally to the University and follow up.

    always confident

  • Name,father's name,Date of birth are the basic details which required till our last breath for anything to be proved and they should be similar and a correct one in all documents. The school certificate for seniors and birth certificates for youngsters become a valid one. As the date of birth is deciding matters in one's life till his end,much care should be taken in the beginning itself. School certificate,college certificates,aadhaar,Pan card,voter Id, driving licence should tally each other. You immediately approach in person to the college authorities and get corrected. No correspondences will yield good result rather than personal approach. Your delay will make the matter more delay.

  • From the question, I understand that there is discrepancy in respect of your father's name only in your educational certificates. I feel that if you apply to the concerned Board and University now along with supporting documents (your AADHAR Card and any other documents indicating the correct name of your father), the Board /University will rectify this mistake.

    In case the Board/University declines to change your father's name in the certificate, you have to sign an Affidavit before any First Class Magistrate of your city indicating your father's correct name. You have to publish classified advertisements in one English newspaper and one vernacular newspaper. You are required to preserve the original Affidavit and the advertisements for future reference.

    Please take necessary action as early as possible to avoid any future complication.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • Sign In to post your comments