There are totally 7 ITR forms. Each forms filed for different purpose for different people to fill and file income tax.
1. ITR 1(Sahaj) for individuals who are resident of India : This form is relate to salaried or pension holder, income from single house property, for agriculture income less than 5000, income from other sources and having total income upto Rs.50 lakhs.
2. ITR 2 for individuals and HUF including non resident indian(NRI) not having income from business and profession : This form is relate to income from salary and pension, income from more than one house property, capital gains, agriculture income more than 5000, income from horse racing or lotteries and holding assets outside india. If your income is through business and profession then you should not fill this form.
3. ITR 3 : This form is for individuals & HUF including NRI having income from any type of business and profession with no limit to income earned can fill and file this form. It can also be used by Taxpayer who is a partner in a firm but who do not conduct any business under the firm or who do not earn any income from the business conducted by the firm and whose taxable income earned from business is only in the form of following recieved as a partner :
Bonus, Salary, Remuneration, Interest, Commission. Doctors, Designers, Contractors, Retailers, Shopkeepers, Agents including LIC can use this form to file ITR.
4. ITR 4(Sugam) : This form is relate to income from any business, agriculture income less than 5000 and income from single house property but the income gained is based on presumptive method of calculation. It is used in any special circumstances. Income earned from brokerage or commision cannot use this form.
5. ITR 5 : ITR 5 to ITR 7 are for companies. This form is form co-operative society, body of individuals, body of individuals, artifical judicial persons, local authorities, Firm, Limited liability partnership.
6. ITR 6 : It can be used by companies or organisations to file ITR but their claim tax excemption is as per section 11. So an organisation who have charitable and religious trust cannot file this form. For that you to fill and file ITR 7.
7. ITR 7 : There are different sections made and acc. to sections income tax return filed. *Section 139(4B) : Filed by Political parties total income earned is above the non taxable limit.
*Section 139(4A) : If your income earned from property that is provided on rent for charity purpose or religion in a form of trust then you can file this form.