You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Professional Courses

    Guidance for teaching profession in law college

    Interested in teaching in a law college? Searching for suitable colleges and the required eligibility criteria to teach? Here, scroll through the guidance provided by our ISC experts for your queries.

    I want to be a professor of ADR in colleges (alternative Dispute resolutions).

    So want are the requirements for it?
    As there are only diploma courses in ADR in India?
    N acc. To my knowledge for a profressor we need llm degree
    But this field does not hold degree but only diplomas.
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • The requirements to become a Professor of law
    A scholar with a PhD degree in the law subject to teach.
    A minimum of 10 year teaching experience in universities/College.
    A minimum score in Academic Performance Indicator based Performance Based Appraisal System (PBAS) of UGC.
    Associate professor of law;
    A scholar with a PhD degree in the concerned subject of law
    A master degree in law with at least 55% from any recognised university.
    A minimum of 8 years of experience as an assistant professor in any university/college.
    Assistant professor of law;
    A master degree in law with at least 55% from any Indian university or an equivalent foreign university.
    Minimum 4 years experience as an assistant professor with a PhD degree.
    After finishing your LLM, you may attend for the NET exam and get qualified for lecturership. But you have to complete your PhD to further progress in the career.
    Regarding ADR, after you become a lecturer you can specialise in that subject by doing a PG Diploma course in the concerned subject.

    always confident

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is a growing field because due to various complications, many people want to avoid going to Court to resolve disputes. Instead, they resort to ADR. But you have already said, there is no course at Masters level on ADR; only Diploma course is available.

    You can't teach ADR exclusively in Law Colleges or Universities. If you have LLM degree and clear the NET examination, you can become a Lecturer/Assistant Professor of Law in Colleges. If you have obtained a Diploma in ADR, then you can opt for teaching that particular paper.

    However, I feel that with the increasing scope of this subject, over the years, the course will be taught at a higher level. Then with your Diploma (if any) or teaching experience, you will be in a better position to take the advantages of future growth in this field.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • For entering in the field of teaching law and especially teaching a particular branch of law it is a long process because first of all one has to become a lecturer in law college and then by acquiring diploma courses and experience in teaching he has to progress ahead to become professor or head of the department in faculty of law.

    So to start with a master's in law and subsequent clearing of the NET test are the basic pre-requisite for this ambition.

    NET is an important milestone in this career path as it decides the further avenues to apply for lecturer ship.

    During the tenure as lecturer one has to either through evening classes or correspondence mode has to increase the professional knowledge and acquire diploma in specialised fields in law branches like ADR etc.

    With a sustained hard wlork and methodical aporoach it is possible to reach the desired place in the faculty of law in reputed colleges or universities.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Please complete your Bachelor of Law (LL.B). Then enroll for Master of Law. with this you can complete the NET for law and then get enrolled as an assistant professor and after that you can complete you PhD ( This will enable you to become a professor of law ( along with the other eligibility criteria of age, teaching experience, publications etc). Dr.Rao, has mentioned, hence I am not repeating it.

    With regards to ADR.

    1.The Global Open Univeristy of Nagaland has a Masters
    distance education program in ADR. The site also has an UGC approval letter. Please contact UGC and verify this.

    2.The Indian Institute of Arbitration and Meidation deals with internation and domestic institutional ADR. This is the only insitute that is aoorived by the International Meidation Institute , Hague,Netherlands for IMI certification. You can contact them and get more information and think about a certification from them.

    3.The International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution has centers in Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
    You can also contact them.

    4. The National Law school of India University, Bangalore has a special center - NIADR ( National Institute for Alternative Dispute resolution).
    NIADR Centre Co-ordinator : Dr. V. Nagaraj
    Registrar and Professor of Law, NLSIU
    Tel. No. : 080-23160532/533
    Email :

    5. Certificate course in ADR (
    Post-graduate diploma in ADR, Inidan Law Institute, Delhi.

    6. There are international law schools that offer Masters in LLM - Dispute Resolution
    University of Portsmouth, Univeristy of Westminister,Enlgand.
    International colleges also offer PG programs in ADR by distance mode also(

    So, bascially if you have a bachleor's and then a masters in law, it would be easier to get into the teaching faculty and simulatenously you can plan to get specific training in ADR as mentioned in (1 to 6).

  • Sign In to post your comments