You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Teaching Jobs

    Want to study MPhil or PhD

    Confused between studying MPhil or PhD for joining the teaching profession? Looking out for answers to resolve yuor confusion? On this page our ISC experts shall provide you guidance to achieve your aspirations.

    I have finished my MCA on 2015. I am working in private college as Technical staff under Non-Teaching Staff.
    So am interested in teaching field. Now what should I do? I am not getting good salary and I like teaching field.

    I am confused between studying M.Phil or PhD?
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • Ph.D is a full fledged doctoral program and requires original work. It is a complete research pack. Generally it takes 3 to 5 years to complete it. After doing Ph.D one can apply for lecturership in colleges and universities.

    On the other hand M.Phil is also a research program and generally takes 2 years to complete. It does not have a strict guideline of original work. It could be based on a already established work in the area and extending it further or adopting for new situations.

    So, if one is aspiring for teaching job it will be advisable to go for Ph.D as that will also avoid the need for going for NET test after Post Graduation which is essential for applying for lecturership.

    If you are interested in teaching line then you must note that it is more of academic in nature and you should have an interest and liking for regularly enhancing your teaching skills. So you will have to put extra efforts and proper home work to achieve this objective.

    Knowledge is power.

  • As far as Ph.D is concerned, it is an independent Research - work being persued by an aspirant under the guidance of an able guide and the thesis is to be carried out as per instruction. The aspirant would be required to devote his effort to the alloted subject with a nice representation by referring to numerous books, journals and related research - papers to extract the facts in the assigned area. However, it is expected from the candidate to retain originality in the the thesis so that one is declared to have passed the Doctorate - degree. This degree widens the prospects of the aspirant in the teaching profession while engaged in teaching in a college. Moreover, there is exemption of NET test as a result of possession of this Doctorate - degree.
    M. Phil, too, is a prestigious achievement where the the aspirant is involved in the Reserch -work but may not be the original one. The aspirant may take up any thesis already produced by some researcher and one may extend his research giving new horizon in that field. Moreover, the time consumption for M.Phil would be somewhat less as compared to full time Ph.D. The former course would take hardly two years where as Ph.D degree may take five to six years to achieve the same.
    M.Phil degree holder have abundant scope in the Reserch - field, Laboratories in case of possession of M.Sc degree in Science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Zoology etc. They may apply for the jobs in PSU where they will be assigned work in laboratories.

  • After your post-graduation, you can go for either M.Phil or PhD.
    M.Phil is like pre PhD. When you join a PhD course you have to complete your pre PhD examination which will be a written exam like any other course. MPhil candidates need not go for pre PhD for doing PhD
    Coming to your question, A PhD holder need not write the NET examination to become a lecturer in any government college or university, But M. Phil degree holders are not having this concession. So if your ultimate aim is to become a lecturer in a college, I suggest you go for PhD. The minimum time required for PhD is 3 years. While working in a private college also on the part-time basis you can complete your PhD. So while working in the present institute register for your PhD and complete the same at the earliest so that you will try for a government lecturer post. All the best to you.

    always confident

  • You are interested in a teaching career and you have done your MCA.

    What you need first is try and somehow get into the teaching side. I would suggest focussing on clearing the NET exams and try and apply for the teaching posts as a lecturer in the public and the private sector. You can even consider the defence posts/ISRO posts related to research if the age limit permits.
    Once you are in a teaching job, then you can consider joining a distance education program from IGNOU.
    IGNOU offers M.Tech in (M.Tech in Advanced Information Technology with specialization in Software Technology, Advanced Information Technology with Networking & Telecommunication,Nanoelectronic,Nanotechnology, Advanced Information Technology with specialization in Intelligent Systems & Robotics).
    I say M.Tech because many sectors consider BCA/MCA as equivalent to B.Tech or B.E computer science only.

    Once you finish your M.Tech, then you can choose PhD in Computer science from IGNOU.

    As you gain work experience and move on from lecturer to assistant and associate professor, you would have completed your M.Tech and PhD in 4-8 years. This would give you the adequate teaching experience and the qualifications to apply for associate professor and professor jobs in the teaching field.

    If you are really good in your studies and have age on your side, you can take the GATE and NET exams with your MCA and then aim for a PhD in computer science from one of the IITs, NIT, IISc, BITS Pilani or the other univerisites like BHU, Vellore Institute of Technology.
    While you are doing your PhD (with your MCA and NET) you can try and do some part-time teaching jobs or a fixed time job in evening colleges to get some teaching experience on board while you complete your PhD.

    Then with you MCA + PhD and some teaching experience you would be eligible for some of the teaching posts in public or private sector.

    If you can afford, the consider a MS in computer science or a MBA in computer science from a reputed college abroad and then try your entry at as teaching faculty in some of the premier centers of IT/computer colleges in India.

  • Sign In to post your comments