You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Government

    Surname spelling change in 10 certificate and graduate certificate

    Worried about a spelling mistake in any any graduation certificates? wondering if it will create any issue in document verification for a government job? On this Ask Expert page you can scroll through the advice provided.

    Will any problem arise during documents verification in this situation:
    My Surname spelling does not match in my 10 certificate and graduation certificate.
    Will this create anyy problem during document verification?
    Is there any solution to resolve this problem?
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • Any mistake in surname or name is a source of inconvenience and embarrassment at the time of document verification.

    In your case it is at multiple places. Generally these mistakes are to be rectified from the education board or the university from where they were originally issued.

    Now applying for each of the corrections to the concerned agencies and getting them corrected seems to be a tedious job in your case.

    What I suggest you is to go for legal affidavit giving the details of these mistakes and getting this affidavit verified by a first class magistrate under his seal. You can take help of a lawyer in this matter.

    You have to keep a copy and the original of this affidavit with you during the verification process.

    Please remember to keep some authentic documents like Aadhar card or PAN card with you where the correct surname is reflecting.

    So if you keep all these documents ready then you will sail comfortably through the verification process.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Definitely, the difference in the surname will create a problem in document verification for government jobs. You have to get it corrected. You have not mentioned in which certificate your father's name is correct.
    Case 1. The surname in graduation is not correct but it is correctly mentioned in SSC certificate. Then you have to apply for correction to the University through the college you have studied. For this, you have to contact your college administration and explain to them the problem. You have to give an application in writing mentioning about the mistake in the surname. You have to attach your original graduate certificate and an attested copy of your SSC certificate. You don't forget to keep one or two attested copies of graduation certificate with you. Some Universities are doing these corrections online. If so you can do online as per the procedure mentioned in the website.
    case2: Your surname is not correct in SSC certificate but correct in Graduation certificate. In such case, you have to contact the school where you studied your 10th. You can apply through them for correction in writing. You have to attach an attested copy of your birth certificate in which your surname is mentioned correctly. You can also attach a copy of the Aadhaar card or Pan Card of your father where the surname is correctly mentioned. The school will forward the application to the concerned board and the board will correct the name and it will send back the certificate to the school. Youcan collect it from the school.

    always confident

  • Yes, it will definitely create a problem at the time of document verification. I will suggest you should go to correct the spelling on the mark sheet. Please check which spelling is correct and which spelling is incorrect.

    Correction in 10th Mark sheet:
    If there is an incorrect spelling in 10th mark sheet, then please contact your school principal and ask him to check the scholar register. If there is a correct spelling in scholar register, you can go for correction. You have to submit an online application for the same. You also need the photocopy of scholar register, Adhaar card's photocopy, certificate of principal to submit the application. Scan all the documents and upload them at the time of submitting application. You have to pay nominal fees for the same. Once you will submit the application, this application will be approved by DEO of your region. After that, the board will issue you a new corrected mark sheet within 15-20 days. You will receive that mark sheet through your school principal.

    Correction in Graduation mark sheet:
    For the correction in graduation mark sheet, ask your college principal. He will provide you with a form for the same. Submit the form in principal office along with relevant documents like Adhaar card, 10 and 12th mark sheet, TC, etc. Also submit challan for the fees of issuing new mark sheet. Once your principal will forward your application to University, you will receive a new corrected mark sheet within 15 days.

    Honesty is the best policy.

  • Yes, any mismatch in respect of name and title would crate problems during the stage of documents - verification and sooner you take a corrective step in this regard, the better.
    First of all, you have to ensure in which certificate the mistake has crept in ie it may be the in the certificate of class ten or graduation. The measure is to be taken up accordingly.
    If the certificate of class ten is correct in all respects and the deviation in respect of surname is appearing in the degree certificate, you need to meet your Principal of the college along with an application indicating the mistake in your surname in your degree certificate. You need to produce the photocopies of your graduation - certificate, SSC certificate, Aadhar - card, PAN card etc. The Principal would forward the application after putting his remarks. You need to send the same to the university - officials along with the photo- copies of all the relevant certificates along with a demand - draft of the requisite amount required for this purpose.
    You would be issued the corrected certificate within 15 to 20 days.
    In case of correction of surname for class ten certificate, you will have to meet the Principal of the school and repeat the same process as mentioned earlier. Correction will be made in a very short time.

  • Name,father's name,Date of birth are the basic details which required till our last breath for anything to be proved and they should be similar and a correct one in all documents. The school certificate for seniors and birth certificates for youngsters become a valid one. As the date of birth is deciding matters in one's life till his end,much care should be taken in the beginning itself. School certificate,college certificates,aadhaar,Pan card,voter Id, driving license should tally each other. You immediately approach in person to the college authorities and get corrected. No correspondences will yield good result rather than personal approach. Your delay will make the matter more delay.
    The name,father's name surname etc., should be get verified even at the stage of collecting from school leaving itself as the same become base documents for the further studies as well for employment or anything.

  • Yes, you will have a problem, because most job applications are now online and before securing the job, the important document verification process would raise doubts about the mismatch. Further on, when you have to apply for a visa or travel on official work or as a delegate to meetings or trade fairs etc.

    Please use this opportunity to check the other ID and date of birth documents for errors.

    First, ensure that you have proper documents that have your CORRECT name spelling. This could be PAN card, Passport, Birth certificate etc.

    10th certificate
    Please draft a letter stating that you need the name correction, forward it via the principal or the head of the institution to the 10th board. There would be a prescribed fee to be paid and in 4 weeks time, the new certificate will be despatched to your school.

    If your 10th is from a CBSE board, then you need a mandatory affidavit stating your correct name. This will be done by the Notary and is a legal document. Then you contact the nearby newspaper offices (one English, one vernacular) who will publish the name. Please keep some original paper snippets which will need to be enclosed to the CBSE board.
    This is the application form (
    This link gives the guidelines for the name correction (

    Graduation certificate

    It would be a similar process but addressed to the Registrar of the university under whose auspices your college comes under. Please check the university website as many offer this name/spelling correction service online and you can even pay the fees/upload documents online.

    If this is not available, then you can get it corrected by the postal mode. You can contact the administrative section for the supporting documents to be enclosed so that there is no delay or queries.

    Please keep all acknowledgment and payments receipts so that you can the reference number when you need to contact the 10th board or the university for delays and or non-receipt of the new corrected certificate.

  • Sign In to post your comments