You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Career Guidance

    Msc Physics through correspondence

    Planning to study Master's after BTech? Wondering if it is possible to do so? go through this page and know the eligibility criteria and the open universities which offer this program here.

    My friend has done B.Tech. in Civil Engineering. He wants to do MSc in Physics through correspondence.
    Is he eligible for it?
    What are the good open universities for the course?
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • Your friend can go for M.Sc physics. There are many universities offering this course. The list is given below,
    List of colleges offering M.Sc Physics through Distance Education/Correspondence in Southern India

    Tamil Nadu:
    Annamalai University
    Alagappa University
    Bharathiar University
    Madurai Kamaraj University
    Bharathidasan University
    Madras University
    Periyar University
    Vinayaka Mission, Vinayaka Missions University
    Manonmaniam Sundaranar University
    Andhra Pradesh:
    Acharya Nagarjuna University
    Dr BR Ambedkar Open University
    Andhra University
    Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
    Kuvempu University
    MG University
    Kerala University
    Calicut University
    List of colleges offering M.Sc Physics through Distance Education/Correspondence in Central India
    Madhya Pradesh/Bhopal:
    Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University
    List of colleges offering M.Sc Physics through Distance Education/Correspondence in Eastern India
    Nalanda Open University
    West Bengal:

    Vidyasagar University
    List of colleges offering M.Sc Physics through Distance Education/Correspondence in Western India
    RVD University
    Indira Gandhi National Open University is also offering the same course.
    He can select the institution as per his choice.

    always confident

  • As your friend has not done B.Sc. in Physics or has not studied Physics at Graduation level, he will not be able to take admission in M.Sc (Physics).

    However, I am mentioning some UGC-recognized universities which offer M.Sc(Physics) by correspondence mode:-
    (a) IGNOU, Central University
    (b) Nalanda Open University, Bihar
    (c) Vidyasagar University, West Bengal
    (d) Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
    (e) Bhoj Open University, Madhya Pradesh

    University must be chosen considering the state of residence.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • Your friend can continue M.Sc ( Physics) through the correspondance- mode. Being a Civil - engineer, he might of studied the theory and has carried out practical relating to subject of Physics in his semester - sessions while doing his engineering. So there would not be restriction in perusal of further studies of this subjects. You may make up your mind for the post graduation in Physics from any one of the open universities listed below-
    1) Annamalai university
    2) Utkal - university
    3) Nalanda - open University
    4) Kerala University
    5) Kuvempu Unversity
    6) Bhoj - open University
    7) Indira Gandhi National Open University etc.
    However, I would recommend to choose IGNOU sine this offeres quality education comparable to any regular recognised university and moreover, the degree has the approval of UGC affiliation. You would also enjoy doubt removal session where your confusion relating to subject matter can be addressed with the competent professors.

  • Is he eligible for it?

    Yes, he would be eligible for MSc Physics provided his B.Tech is from a recongised college/univerisity

    What are the good open universities for the course?

    IGNOU has an integrated Msc-PhD in Physics ad Astrophysics. The eligibility criteria includes B.Tech mechanical,instrumentation,computer science engineering. There is no harm in writing to the appropriate authorities and asking about your friend's specific eligibility.

    Director (I/C),
    School of Inter-Disciplinary and Trans-Disciplinary Studies
    First Floor EMPC
    Indira Gandhi National Open University
    Maidan Garhi New Delhi – 110068

    Some of the other good national universities for distance education are

    University of Madras
    Alagappa University ( (
    Annamalai University (
    Kuvempu University (
    Madurai Kamaraj University (
    Bharathiar Univeristy (

    Alagappa University offers MSc Physics 2 year program
    The Registrar
    Alagappa University
    Karaikudi - 630 003
    Tel : 04565 - 226001
    Fax : 04565 - 225525
    E-mail :

    Choose a good university that has many study centers in your native state, an university that has good tie-ups with research centers etc. For instance IGNOU has an affiliation with ISRO for the integrated MSc-PhD course.

  • Sign In to post your comments