• Category: Cooking Queries

What is the difference between Varuthal and Porithal words in Malayalam?

Are you interested in knowing the difference between a couple of specific words in Malayalam? Looking out for the major differences? On this page you can go through the answers from experts.

Today, I happened to hear a Malayalam song "Ayala Porithathundu, Karimeen Varuthathundu". For me, Varuthal and porithal are same which means frying.

Is there any vast difference between porithal and varuthal in Malayalam? I wish to know from expert members especially from Kerala and Tamilnadu, and also from other state members.
  • #153257
    Varuthal inTamil is mostly associated with shallow frying. Poruthal is associated with fat frying. A clear example would be, "Appalam porrikanu" which means to heat pappads on mild flame or to fry it in small amount of oil.
    So we say "paruppu varuthukollungal" which means frying the pulses in absence of oil or a little oil.
    That is what I observed. Since both languages share many attributes, I feel Malayalam for these words means the same too.
    The karimeen and ayala in the song are types of fish right? Karimeen is dried in many areas and is then shallow fried. Hence the verse goes that way.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

• #153264
    The difference betwe" Varukkal" and "porikal" is as between dry roasting and deep frying.
    In Varuthal or varukkal the material is either dry roasted or roasted with just a few drops of oil. In Porikal the material is deep fried with shells or skin of the material.

However the words are now used random;y meaning both situations and people understand by their use and familiarity.

• #153457
    The terms used in Malayalam are "varakkuka" and "porikkuka". Varakkuka is used when the item is fried keeping it in the oil. The item is put into the hot oil in the frying pan. It should be immersed in the hot oil. For example the preparation of banana chips is done like this.

When it is porikkal in the bottom of the pan there will be oil. When it is hot the item will be introduced into it and using a large spoon the item will be well mixed with oil and continued this mixing not allowing the item get overfried. Here the item will not be immersed in the oil, where is in "varukkal" it will be immersed.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC