You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India Educational Consultants

    Surname mismatch of father's name in education certificates

    Facing an issue with name mismatch in educational certificates and address proof documents? Looking out for resolving this issue? Find advice from our ISC experts on this page.

    The problem I have been facing is regarding the spelling of my surname. My actual surname does not tally with that my educational certificates and address proof documents like PAN and Voter ID, but in Aadhar it is written correctly.
    So, I've been wondering if I may face any problems in the future during certificate verification as the Surname is different.
    Is this a serious issue or can it be rectified?

    Note: I have gone to certificate verification during Bank interview and didn't have any problem and they might have not noticed it.
  • Answers

    5 Answers found.
  • Though surname importance is found only in North India, the exactness of name,father's name,surname etc., are to be expected from the verifying authorities. It is necessary to verify the correctness immediately on collecting them from the respective authorities. The name,father's name surname etc., should be get verified even at the stage of collecting from school leaving itself as the same become base documents for the further studies as well for employment or anything.Name,father's name,Date of birth are the basic details which required till our last breath for anything to be proved and they should be similar and a correct one in all documents. The school certificate for seniors and birth certificates for youngsters become a valid one. As the date of birth is deciding matters in one's life till his end,much care should be taken in the beginning itself. School certificate,college certificates,aadhaar,Pan card,voter Id, driving license should tally each other. You immediately approach in person to the college authorities and get corrected. No correspondences will yield good result rather than personal approach. Your delay will make the matter more delay.

  • Is your surname is the same in all your certificates of education or it is different from certificate to certificate. Is it same in your PAN and Voter ID? Probably in your bank interview they have not seen your Aadhaar card. They might have seen only your educational qualifications certificates. That is why they have noticed the difference. Anyhow, I feel it is better to have the same name and correct name in all your certificates and ID cards. I suggest you get it changed in all your certificates. Instead of that, you can make an affidavit declaring the correct surname.
    In this connection, you better contact an advocate in your area and take his advise and make an affidavit. Once the affidavit is ready your problem will get solved. Then you have to apply individual boards and universities for correction of your surname as per the affidavit in all your educational certificates.

    always confident

  • Any mismatch in name or surname is a matter of concern at the time of document verification.

    As per your narration your surname is incorrect in most of your documents except Aadhaar card. It is really very strange that they did not notice it while making your Aadhaar card.

    Now there are three options for you. The simplest is accept your wrong surname in the documents just for record sake any go for a correction in only the Aadhaar card and make it at par with the existing educational credentials. This will be easier as you will have to go for only one correction by visiting the Aadhaar centre.

    The second option which appears a little bit cumbersome is go for corrections in all your educational credentials as well as PAN card and Voters card. You will have to apply to the education board office for the educational certificates and the concerned offices for PAN and Voters card. There are so many certificates and mark sheets involved so this looks to me a bit tedious approach.

    The third solution is to go for a legal affidavit. Please talk to a lawyer and ask him to prepare a legal affidavit detailing all these discrepancies and then attach a copy of these documents with the affidavit for reference and then sign it and also get it countersigned by a first class magistrate under his seal.

    Now whenever you have to go for document verification, take this affidavit with you and produce it for reference and verification.

    Knowledge is power.

  • It is surprising that you have not noticed this difference so far. Anyway this requires correction from the board or university from where these educational certificates are issued to you.

    Some offices accept online applications for correction. You can find that option also. You will have to pay some nominal fee for getting this correction.

    While applying make it clear what you want and also you have to submit the authentic document where your surname is reflecting correctly. For example your birth certificate etc.

    Once you get the documents corrected from these board or university offices then you will be comfortable during document verification.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • Yes, such a mismatch in your surname may create problem during the verification of document - verification.
    The immediate solution lies in the correction through the affidavit of the First - class magistrate. You may approach a lawyer reporting to the office of the magistrate along with the photo - copies of your certificates needed to corrected in respect of surname and these photocopies should follow the photo - copy of Aadhar card.
    The lawyer would make an affidavit containing your name downward followed by authentication of the Magistrate. Once the affidavit is released, get the same notified in a local newspaper apart from English daily. Preserve the cuttings to be shown during the process of documentation.

  • Sign In to post your comments