There are many thoughts over sleep time and patterns. The adequate time of a healthy sleep is said to be between 6-8 hours. However, there are people with genes who doesn't require that much of sleep. Yes, there body can balance without the reasonable sleep time. So, sleeping time depends on our body characteristics and habits. But, even those people who only need a little sleep require a "sound sleep".
A sound sleep is the best kind of sleep a human body can get to refresh itself. We all have situations where even after a long sleep we still feel tired and hope to get a better sleep the day before. So, the question is how to make the time we spent on sleep more productive. I hope the following points will help.
1. Early dinner and a glass of water before sleep. Have your dinner atleast an hour before you sleep. Make arrangements for having some gap between the dinner and sleep. And if you can manage, just walk a bit after the food. It is a good thing to have a glass of water just before the sleep.
2. This one may feel weird. It's said that we need a schedule to go to bed as well as to rise. But I suggest, only go to sleep when you feel tired. Don't take me wrong, it's like when our body have energy left in it, I think it is difficult to make it comfortable at rest. Consider it like this, we usually charge our phone when the battery is low (yeah, those who believe and practice small and frequent charges excluded, you guys compare yourself to other sleeping cycles of multiple sleeps).
3. Room settings. The electronic devices like smartphones emits radiation and it is better to leave them aside from you. Yeah, you may have an alarm in it. Yet, place it far, this can help you to get up from the sleep even for snoozing it - helping you to get off the bed if you are a lazy guy in the morning (a bonus for you). And if you feel like it, just set up a music. Something like the raining or water flowing can help. Remember to set up a way to let it turn off after sometime.
4. Calm the mind. The mind won't let the body rest if it is flooded with thoughts especially those with anxiety and tension. So, before getting into the bed, just let go of the things. It is difficult, yet doable. Just think of the day and feel thankful to the good things and good people. With sense of gratitude and content, try sleeping.
5. Make yourself comfortable for the rest. This includes the lighting, room temperature, body posture, etc. A dark lighting is the best, a dim light is even okay. The less light, the less the eyes will look into things, and the more the mind will have to think. A not too cold yet cool temperature can be good as far the temperature. And body posture, you know how you can make yourself comfortable, yet it is advised to follow face up position.