You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Study Abroad

    Spelling Mistake in my Father's name in my Board Marks Sheet and LC

    Does the mistake in father's name reflected in 10th and 12th certificates cause a problem? A routine question from many, yet our experts would give you the viable solution and check this ISC page to know more.

    I have a single alphabet spelling mistake in my 10th and 12th Marks sheet and even in LC. I'm thinking to study abroad in future (currently in 3rd year of engineering)..

    My current name example: Raj Layprakash Shah
    10th marks sheet name: Raj Laiprakash Shah
    12th marks sheet name: Raj Laiprakash Shah
    Passport name: Raj Layprakash Shah (I've this name in all my govt ids, and which is correct)

    I visited my school and they said nothing can be done now and it cannot be changed. The problem is, my college is saying they will only consider my 10th and 12th marks sheet and LC name. So, my degree will also get a spelling mistake...

    Another problem is, I can't get an affidavit because my father Laiprakash passed away when I was 5 years old. Is there any solution to this problem?

    My only solution left is to overwrite "i" alphabet to "Y" in my LC, so at least my degree will be under the correct name, but I think that might create a problem in future.

    Please guide me. I'm really worried.
  • Answers

    8 Answers found.
  • You have to pursue with the education board office under which your school falls. You have to give a written application for correction in your name and submit it and ask them to give acknowledgement for it. You can send this application by registered post also.

    First of all collect your correct documents like Aadhaar card, PAN card, driving license, voter card etc and make a copy of them and ensure that your name is correct there. Attach these with your application as a reference to your correct name. Please prepare separate application for class 10 and class 12 mark sheet.

    From your narration it is clear that your class 10 and 12 certificates are in order. So you attach a copy of those also mentioning that mistake has occured in marksheet only. This will make your case strong.

    This will take sometime as it will require follow up with the school authorities. Meanwhile consult a lawyer for legal affidavit. Check what are the documents available with you related to your father. The lawyer will make an affidavit in which their will be mention of demise of your father and his correct name as per the documents available with you. After this the details of your name and the mistakes done in class 10 and 12 marksheet will be highlighted. The affidavit will also give oath and undertaking from your side that the details mentioned are true.

    This affidavit will be signed by you and counterigned by a first class magistrate. You can use it during document verification.

    Use this affidavit till you get corrected copy of your mark sheet. With all these documents in hand you can ask your present institute to correct your name in their records so that your name in the present course is also corrected and you get a degree certificate in your correct name. Do talk to your present institute office but give them a written application in this regard and meet the dean or vice-chancellor personally.

    One more thing which you should check is the name of your father in his documents should be consistent and same should reflect in your certificates etc. This is important thing.

    The spelling of your father's surname can be different from your surname but they should be consistent with their own documents.

    There are lots of things you have to check and submit to the authorities and once done you will get the corrected documents.

    Knowledge is power.

  • First of all, don't panic as you have time to correct and apply for the education abroad.
    1. Make an application to college authority with all the supporting documents and an application to the board from which you completed your 10th and 12th examination.

    2. Take a legal advice as you are finding it difficult to get an affidavit for spelling change.

    3. Please don't go for an option of overriding the original documents. It will definitely in any stage of verification of documents.

    4. Make follow up of your application with authority for speedy proceeding.

    My father had also faced the problem of his name document while settling his retirement and pension-related documents. And the end was Happy.

    Well done is better than well said

  • The spelling mistake has to be rectified by the concerned boards. They might have said it is impossible as you have given the name of your father to them as Layprakash. But you have to pursue with them and get it rectified. First you apply for X class Marks sheet correction. Then with the support of that document you can appply for 12th marks sheet. You send a written application to the board directly if your school is refusing to accept. Please attach copies of all your government identity cards duly attested. Keep a copy of the letter with you for your records. Send the application in registered post with acknowledgment due so that you will have a proof. You may have to follow up with the board. If you have any certificate of your father in which his name is correctly written attach a copy of the same to your application. This will take sometime.
    I advise you to contact a good lawyer with any certificate or identity card in Which your father's name is correctly spelled. He willl advise you about making an affidavit. That will give you an immediate solution and then you can get the certificates changed as required.

    always confident

  • I will suggest you to change the other documents as per the 10 th and 12th mark sheets. As Layprakash Shah and Laiprakash Shah have same pronunciations, your surname will not be affected. It is very difficult to change the name in 10th and 12th mark sheet as you have already contacted your school principal and college principal. Never try to overwrite any document yourself, it will cause many problems.
    You can easily change your name in other documents like passport, adhaar card, PAN card,etc. So, go with Laiprakash Shah and try to change your name in other documents instead of school certificates.

    Honesty is the best policy.

  • Though at this moment, it appears to be trouble some, the same can be modified with the affidavit. You will be required to produce the the photocopies of all such documents indicating your correct name as Raj Layprakash Sah and on the basis of your photocopies of Aadhar, PAN - card, Voter - I'd card, the lawyer attached to the first class magistrate will make an affidavit on your behalf containing your signature below the document and the same will be countersigned by the Magistrate. This affidavit will serve your purpose during the purpose of document - verification.
    Once the affidavit is released from the office of the Magistrate, you have to send notification in a well - known English newspaper apart from a Local - one for the wider publicity of the same. You can produce the affidavit on all such occasions wherever it is required for the purpose of verification.

  • 1. First, you have to decide which name do you want to keep. As far as I understand that there is no mistake in your own name. But the name of your father is being spelt differently in various documents.
    2. Once you decide the name which you want to keep, you have to take appropriate action. If you want to change the spelling of your Board documents, you have to write to the concerned Board authorities in prescribed proforma along with the supporting documents (in your case, you have to enclose copies of AADHAR, Election Id Card, etc. if these contain correct spelling).
    3. I hope the Board authorities will accept your request. If the Board does not accede to your request, you have to sign an affidavit indicating the correct name and publish advertisements in one English newspaper and in one vernacular newspaper. You have to preserve the original affidavit and original advertisements permanently.

    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

  • There are only two ways of tackling this problem. First is to get the corrected mark sheets from the education board office. Second is go for a legal declaration and affidavit and if required by the court publish this information in some national newspaper.

    I will prefer the first option as that will solve the problem for ever. Legal affidavit will also be doing the trick but everytime you will have to explain the authorities about these things during document verification.

    So I will suggest you to pursue with your education board. Segregate all your documents properly and use the ones which are correct for reference purposes.

    The other members have already explained the procedure in details and you have to adhere with it.

    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

  • The name,father's name surname etc., should be get verified even at the stage of collecting from school leaving itself as the same become base documents for the further studies as well for employment or anything.

    Name,father's name,Date of birth are the basic details which required till our last breath for anything to be proved and they should be similar and a correct one in all documents. The school certificate for seniors and birth certificates for youngsters become a valid one. As the date of birth is deciding matters in one's life till his end,much care should be taken in the beginning itself. School certificate,college certificates,aadhaar,Pan card,voter Id, driving license should tally each other. You immediately approach in person to the college authorities and get corrected. No correspondences will yield good result rather than personal approach. Your delay will make the matter more delay.

  • Sign In to post your comments