You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Professional Courses

    Will M.SC physics with B.Tech make me eligible for NET, SET etc?

    Planning to appear for NET, SET etc? Are you confused whether a Masters in Physics after a degree in Engineering will be of help to you? Follow this thread to know more about the same.

    I am a graduate. I have completed B.Tech (Electronics and Instrumentation). Now I want to pursue M.Sc physics at a good university which offers the same in distance mode.

    Kindly let me know whether I will I be eligible for appearing NET, SET etc. if I pursue M.SC Physics.
    Please give your opinion.
  • Answers

    6 Answers found.
  • Any qualification earned never goes in vain provided the qualification acquired is from a recognised university. M.Sc in Physics is the most sought after qualification for the aspirants interested for teaching Physics in colleges and in higher secondary classes.
    NET is known as National Eligibility Test and by going through this test makes you eligible for the post of Lecturership in a college. However, you have to fulfil some basic criteria such as the percentage of marks so earned should not be less than 55 percent if you belong to a general category and for SC/ ST a concession of 5 percent is offered.
    Once you qualify this test, your name will be recommended for the post of lecturer in a government college and hence you are awarded with a suitable career.
    However, being a B. Tech, your persuasion for a post graduate degree in Physics would consume additional time which you could have averted with a better preparation so as to be absorbed in an industry by competing the written and oral test for the post of Management - trainee of SAIL, ONGC, DVC etc.

  • You have already completed your B.Tech. Now my sincere suggestion to you is go for M Tech instead of M Sc physics. Both are two years courses only. A P G in Engineering will be of very good help to you than in Physics. M Tech qualification is suitable for writing NET or SET or GATE entrance examinations and definitions you will have higher chances of getting a good job. You can go as a lecturer in any engineering colleges and chances of getting in a university will also be more. So think of M Tech.

    If you want to do M.Sc physics, you should have a degree in Physics. But you may also get a seat. Once you complete your M Sc you will be eligible to write NET or SET. There will not be any problem. Many universities prefer BSc Physics candidates for PG in Physics. You have to confirm which university will give PG Physics seat for B Tech candidates. I know many people who completed BTech after B Sc but not M Sc after B Tech. This factor is to be confirmed.

    Again you want to go for distance mode. For that also you should select a food institute offering M Sc Pysics by correspindance cousre.
    Finally I once again advise you to think of doing M Tech than M Sc

    always confident

  • You have already completed your B.Tech. and now you want to go for M.Sc.(Physics) in correspondence mode to pursue a teaching job in colleges or universities. This appears to be a rare career path but if you have a liking for teaching Physics or it is your interest area, you can very well pursue this objective in your life.

    You have already a background of Electronics and Instrumentation so you can very well choose your specialisation paper in M.Sc. as some related subject so that you can get benefit of your existing knowledge. However you are at a liberty to choose other things like Nuclear Physics or Mathematical Physics or Astrophysics or Quantum Physics or any other branch of your choice. You will have to complete a thesis work also during your M.Sc. course.

    Once you select a correspondence college for your M.Sc. in Physics then you have to put a lot of efforts to get good scoring so that after your post graduation and thereafter qualifying in NET national level exam you get an edge over other NET qualified candidates as there will be many such persons eager to apply for lectureship post which at the present juncture a coveted career option.

    Following are some good institutes from where you can pursue your M.Sc.(Physics) in correspondence mode -

    1. Madras University's Institute of Distance Education, Chennai, Tamilnadu.
    2. Alagappa University, Tamilnadu.
    3. Directorate of Distance Learning, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu.
    4. Kuvempu University, Karnataka.
    5. Birla Institute of Technology & Science- Pilani, Rajasthan.
    6. Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamilnadu.
    7. Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.

    Knowledge is power.

  • The eligibility condition for CSIR-NET for General category candidates is 55% marks or equivalent in M.Sc. or equivalent degree/Integrated BS-MS/BS-4 years/BE/B Tech/B. Pharma /MBBS with at least 55% marks. For SC/ST candidates, there is no marks restriction.

    For JRF, the maximum age-limit is 28 years for General category candidates (male) and 31 years for SC/ST/OBC/female candidates. There is no upper-age limit for any category for lectureship.
    The eligibility criteria for SET/SLET would be similar.

    So, if you are a General category candidate having a B.Tech degree with more than 55% marks, you are even now eligible for CSIR-NET and/or SET. If you pass M.Sc.(Physics) with more than 55% marks, you will also be eligible for NET/SET in Physics also.

    “Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

  • Let me answer one by one.
    1. Yes first you can take up M.Sc. in Physics after B.Tech. in any stream.
    2. Kindly let me know whether I will I be eligible for appearing NET, SET etc. if I pursue M.SC Physics.
    - Yes you are eligible as long as you hold the Master's or equivalent degree from a university recognized by UGC.
    So relax and pursue what you dream of.

    Life Is Beautiful

  • It seems strange that after completing your engineering you are planning to pursue M.Sc. why don't you try for Mtech which will be a good option. Anyways you are eligible for doing MSc physics only thing is you should fulfil the laid criteria of the university/college.

    Also, you are eligible for appearing in NET/SET provided you score minimum marks what makes you eligible to appear in the exams.


    " The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

  • Sign In to post your comments