• Category: Government

Procedure for Interstate transfer of private vehicles

Have a query about inter state transfer of vehicles? Looking out for the detailed procedure to carry out the transfer? On this Ask Expert page you can check out the detailed procedure, list of agencies who can help you in this regard.

I am having a four wheeler registered in Bangalore. I would like to transfer this vehicle to Chennai.
    Please let me know whether I have to do to register the vehicle in Chennai by paying road tax there? I paid 10 years road tax in Karnataka while buying the Car. If I have to pay road tax in TN, will the tax paid at Karnataka be reimbursed? How long it will take for all these transfer procedure? Is any agency providing this service in Bangalore?
    How long I can use this vehicle in Chennai with Karnataka registration number?
    Also, I heard no need of registration of the private vehicles if the vehicle is more than 2 years old?
    I think, people having transferable jobs like Bank employees face this problem frequently.
    Anybody having personal experience and knowledge about this, please answer.

• The thread has not been reviewed by Editors yet. Readers are advised to use their best judgement before accessing this thread.
    This thread will be reviewed shortly.
    If you think this thread contain inappropriate content, please report to webmaster.
    To transfer your vehicle from one state to another, you are required to: The following are the steps involved in the transfer of a vehicle from one State to another State.
    1. A no objection certificate is to be obtained from the State presently you are staying. Earlier days you have to contact the concerned RTO and obtain it. But these days you can get it online.
    2. Then you have to reregister it in your new State. The procedure to be followed is like a fresh registration only. But recently the central government decided that reregistration is not required to the vehicles which are older by more than 2 years.
    3. The road taxes are not the same in all the States. Whatever you have paid in the old state can be taken back and in new State, you have to pay as per the rules there. The reimbursement may not come immediately. But after shifting there and paying your tax there only you will get it back.
    4. The vehicles which are older than 2 years are exempted from payment of road tax again. If the tax difference between the state from where you are shifting and the state you are shifting to has to be less than 2%, then also you are exempted from paying the tax.

This thread will be reviewed shortly.
    Simply copy the below URL and paste it to the google search engine, you will be redirected to the website page. There you'll get the answer of your question.
    http://morth.nic.in/index2.asp?slid=609&sublinkid=338&lang=1
    This is a official website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.