Time taken for verification of passport at police station

Are you facing a delay in verification of passport at police station? wondering about this delay even though all documents are submitted and thee are no legal cases? Check out this Ask Expert page and get advice on understanding the reasons for the delay.

Why is verification for passport pending in local police station for more than twenty eight days even after the applicant visited police station personally, met the sub inspector concerned, submitted document , and not having legal cases?
    What might be the reason for not completing the verification faster?

• Once you apply for your passport, the passport office will send your details to the SP office and from there it will come to the police station to which your area belongs. Generally, a constable will come to your house he will ask you the details and then he will inquire about you from 2 or 3 families in your neighbourhood. He may take some photostat copies of your Aadhaar card and other identities required. Then in the police station, they will search for any cases pending against you. Once there are no cases and there are no adverse comments about you they will forward the recommendation to PPO. We need not even go to the police station and meet anyone there. The total time maximum will be 20 days for this entire work.
    I don't know why you have gone to the police station and met the SI there. Why they kept it pending is not known. I suggest you go to the station and ask them again. There will be concerned Constable for this passport issues. You meet him and enquire with him. They may be expecting some formalities.

• Passport process has become quite smooth now and things are moving quickly and people are getting their passports in a few days time. Still, the police verification part is taking some time as the process is not fully digitized and is not in online mode in their office.

The policeman will visit your residence and complete the verification and then they will put for approval to the designated authority in their local head office who could be a Asstt. DGP or Asstt. Commissioner or even SP etc. There, it seems the papers are pending for some time and are getting delayed.

So you have to pursue with the policeman who came to your residence for verification and if you visit the police station one or two times it will be done. Earlier some of them were demanding some tip or bakshish for this service but now due to transparency and awareness in the public they will only delay your things may be for 2-3 days but eventually it will be done. Even their behavior is also changed drastically as compared to earlier. You can even give a call to the office where they have sent it for approval and it will be expedited early.

Last year, I got my passport in 4 days and I visited the police station 2 times in between to pursue. Govt is trying to streamline this further and in many cases where online verification is obtained, people are getting their passport without the formality of visiting the police station.

Police verification is still a bottleneck in the otherwise smooth process of getting passport now a days.

• 1. So far as passport issued under Tatkal scheme is concerned, the passport is issued on the basis of a certificate issued by any Class-I Gazetted Officer of the Central Government. Police verification is done subsequently.

2. In case of issue of passport under normal course, police verification is done prior to the issue of passport. The SHO of the concerned police station sends an SI to the applicant's declared residence. On the basis of his report, further process is done and the passport is issued to the applicant.

3. With the passage of time, the process has been simplified, but even now the police verification takes time. There are basically two reasons behind this delay. The important one is that this verification process is a low-priority work for an overburdened police station or police officer. Further, in some cases, some corrupt officials may want to get some money from the applicants or their family members.

Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

• Police verification is taking some time and sometimes one has to visit there to pursue it. But it is not as earlier when sometimes it was taking weeks or months.

Recently some of my friends have got the passport directly without police verification. Probably it was done online in their case. Another possibility is only in doubtful or sample cases they may be sending it for police verification. If it is so then we can expect to get it in fast mode.

• "Recently some of my friends have got the passport directly without police verification. Probably it was done online in their case. "---------------------I have already explained this issue in my reply. Those who apply for passport under Tatkal scheme, get the passport issued in their name on the basis of a certificate issued by any Class-I Gazetted Officer of the Central Government. Police verification is done subsequently.