Courses for music-related career or other viable options after B.A.

Interested in music but feel it may not be a good career option? Find out with expert guidance which would be related or better options for a good career after your graduation degree.

I am an undergraduate student and pursuing graduation in BA from IT College, Lucknow. I am confused regarding my career as I am not being able to decide what to pursue and what not. My field of interest is in music but people say there is no career in it.
    I decided to pursue mass communication but was not able to do it because of my financial conditions. So please help me out in deciding on a suitable course for my career which would not be too expensive also.

• It is not true that there is no scope for music and you cannot build a career out of it. If you are interested in music then you should pursue M.A. (Music). There are many colleges which are offering M.A. in music stream. Here is a list of those colleges-
    1.) Acharya Narendra Dev Nagar Nigam Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Kanpur,
    2.) Apeejay College of Fine Arts, Jalandhar, Punjab,
    3.) Baba Mast Nath University, Rohtak, Haryana,
    4.) Banasthali Vidyapith, Tonk, Rajasthan,
    5.) Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh

You can do a lot with your music degree. It is not necessary at all to pursue a degree in music but if you are interested in it, you can improve your skill by pursuing a degree in music stream. You can teach music as well as perform.

If you want to do something else, you have lots of courses from which you can choose.
    1.) You can enroll in a certificate course which may last from a duration of 6 months to 2 years. Lots of colleges are offering certification in various streams such as travel and tourism, animation and film studies, event management, fashion, and interior designing.

2.) A post-graduation degree in tourism and hospitality is very much in demand. It is not going to cost you a lot and there is lots of scope after completion of the course. You might want to consider it.

3.) You can go for B.Ed if you want to take up a teaching career.

4.) You can pursue M.A. in different streams such as philosophy, psychology, sociology, literature, economics, creative writing, fine arts, archaeology etc.

• It is seen that people generally succeed in the area where they have interest and aptitude. In your case it is music. So after doing graduation you can think of doing some certification course or diploma course in music and related field so that you can apply for some job.

I am not suggesting long duration courses like M.A. in music as it might be a financial burden for you.

The certificate and other short courses are available in all the cities in our country either in the colleges or private music training centres.

So, if you have a real passion for music and music related areas then you can try for various fields for job hunting. These are -

1. Composer / song writer.
    2. Music journalist.
    3. Music troupes.
    4. Music companies.
    5. Vocal or instrumental performer.
    6. Music therapist.
    7. Working in private music institutions.

If you can manage loans from bank then you can very well go for full fledged M.A. in music and then you will have better job avenues.