You have a degree in computer science and you have some working experience also. Now you want to enter the IT field again to pursue a career.
At this juncture it will be prudent to go for some short term computer course of your liking so that you can keep pace with the latest development in the area as you were not in the academic touch for quite some time.
So there are a few options like going for M.Sc. in computer sciences which will give you an advanced knowledge of this area or go for some computer courses which are very popular today and are also lucrative from job point of view.
Some of the areas which you can consider for your knowledge enhancement before applying for a job are as below -
1. Database Administration - It is one of the most common but most important area in IT field and in this course you can learn the techniques of database administration, monitoring, maintenance, security, upgrading, configuration or installation. Every company or organisation wants to have its database in the best of shape and there they need the professionals to manage it.
2. Application System Analysis - This is the course paving ways to become an application analyst who is supposed to take control of administration, monitoring, and maintenance of software infrastructures and applications. He has to look after the applications which are useful to the organisation for MIS or other information systems.
3. Graphic Design and Web Design - If you have interest in design and graphics then this is the right course. After completing this course one can learn the skills in the area of interface design, graphic design, web graphic design and user experience design. This course covers some SEO techniques also.
4. Digital Marketing - This is also a very important area which has picked up very fast due to its potential as a marketing tool in the internet by giving the consumer the marketing choices and options right at the mobile device or tablet the consumer is using. Today the business environment is switching to digital platforms and in that light this course is very prospective.
5. Computer Systems Analyst - In this course one can learn using computers and related systems to design new IT solutions, modify or enhance existing systems and
integrate new features or improvements in the system. One has to learn about the current business practices also to use these skills to apply to the business solutions.
6. Web Development - In this course one will learn the basic techniques of creating websites and run the corporate website or blog etc. The course also covers developing e-commerce sites and SEO techniques. The web developer course includes the fundamentals of PHP and MySQL configurations also.
7. Games Development - If one has an interest and passion for gaming then this is also a career line in IT area. It covers creation and production of games for personal computers, devising game consoles, creating social/online games, arcade games etc. Art and animation are the part of a game creation and are a prerequisite for this course. This is comparatively a crowded area and one can make place only after a lot of hard work.
8. Financial and Accounting Softwares - This is an area especially for the B.Com. people but if one has interest in this one can go for some courses like Tally ERP9, SAP or some other such course useful for financial and accounting work.
9. Cyber Security - This is really one area which has taken up the front seat in IT technology as the data protection and system integrity has become the most important concern in the companies or the organisations. This course will equip the person with security measures and precautions to be adopted in the big computer system to avoid any attack from the hackers or other malicious softwares. The area has immense potential for growth as there is a shortage of qualified people in this line.
Knowledge is power.