What do BCom colleges check in our application

Planning to change from Science to Commerce for BCom? Looking out for help here? On this Ask Expert page you can check out the responses from experts and get details of entrance exam, tips for preparation here.

I'm a science student who want to pursue BCom(taxation) after +2. Is there any particular subject marks that colleges check? Are there any entrance exams to get into BCom?
    I'm planning to do CA after my graduate. Can you please tell me what are the exams that I need to prepare for.
    Can you also tell me tips for a science student who is changing to commerce stream.

• There is nothing as such in context to the entrance test for changing your stream from BSC to B.Com but your admission to any particular college would be depending upon the marks obtained in the marks sheet because of the reason that any of the colleges are being operated with a certain terms & conditions & in the case that you doesn't qualify with their minimum requirements then you may not get the chance.

To against your query for the tips for changing to commerce stream from being a science student would be depending upon your interest & capability in tackling with the changes because these are the different areas of specializations & therefore shifting might prove inconvenient to you in the initial phase.

In context to looking for the carrier in for Chartered Accountant wouldn't be easy but is required with a lot of time & hard work. I know about this as many in my knowledge are still struggling with not getting to nearby to their dreams. The intensity of hard work & efficiency are different in different individuals & therefore I suggest you to go ahead if you dreamt of to be a CA.

• Why do you want to move from Science to Commerce stream? Do you think it is easy? The answer for that is B.Com is also as tough as B.SC. But if you fell that Commerce subject is your cup of tea, you can move to B.Com. Your interest and hard work will make a difference. You need not to think that you can't cope up the subject. Initially, it may be a little difficult to follow for a few days. But in graduation, they teach from the basics so you can easily cope up. You can easily grasp the commerce subjects taught in Intermediate. It can be easily understood and picked up by going to a tutorial college for a month or so. Mathematics will be easy for you as you have done in your inter and you are a science candidate.
    So you need not to write any entrance test to join B.Com. They will give you seat based on your +2 or Inter marks. Initially, if you take some additional interest and work hard you will score good marks in the examination. Many Science students did well in B.Com.

Coming To CA. Even a B.Sc graduate can also do CA. There is no restriction on it. I know people who did CA after B.Sc. So there will not be any problem. But it is time-consuming. To clear this examination fast you should be able to score high in the examinations of CA.

• Admission to B.Com. is generally based on either the scoring in 10+2 or a competitive exam depending upon the reputation of the institution you choose for your studies.

If you have a more liking and interest in commerce stream as compared to the science then it makes sense to do so otherwise if you are doing it just to get rid of the science fear then it may not prove as a viable option.

So these things are to be decided with a conscious and constructive approach.

If you have interest in commerce then going later for CA will definitely be a prospective thing to make a brilliant career in this line. CA is the topmost career option in commerce stream.

After doing B.Com., one has options to try for the job positions like -
    Accountant, Tax Consultant, Banker, Human Resource, BPO / KPO, Auditor, Stock Broker, Export Import Manager, Finance Consultant, Cost & Work Accountant, Company Secretary, Event Manager, Travel Agent / Travel Manager, Government Jobs, Market Researcher and Economist.

So there is a wide range of the areas to choose from. Only thing is one has to put in the best efforts with hard work and sustained studies to score the best possible marks in the exams (B.Com/ M.Com./ CA etc) so that one can compete in the tough job market today.