• Category: Hotels and Restaurants

Food preservative for methi thepala

Planning to set up a business of selling methi theplas? Want to know the preservatives which can be used to lengthen shelf life? You can check out the suggestions by our ISC experts for your queries and decide how to start your commercial venture.

I have requirement to know about the approved and listed chemical preservatives to stabilize" Methi thepala" [Gujarati Dish]for long shelf life in room temperature up to 25-30 days or more. I need to sell these thepalas for commercial use in the Indian market.
    It will be highly appreciable if I will get the information about these preservatives and the company or the stores from where I should buy them.

• Preservation of food items is a very important aspect for its long self life.

In fact if it is required only for 7 - 8 days, then we can use more oil while cooking the methi thepla. Oil will act as a preservative and also keep it soft for eating later.

For longer duration the chemical food preservatives are commonly used for preservation of items like methi thepla. They appear to be the best and the most effective for a longer shelf life. There are different types of chemical food preservatives. Some of them are -
    1. Benzoates (like sodium benzoate, benzoic acid)
    2. Nitrites (like sodium nitrite)
    3. Sulphites (like sulphur dioxide)
    4. Sorbates (like sodium sorbate, potassium sorbate)

The chemical preservatives are easily available in the market. They have a distinctive E number also.

What I suggest is you can go for either of the following -
    E200 – E203: Sorbic acid / Sodium sorbate.
    E210 – E213: Benzoic acid / Sodium benzoate.

• TThis response is marked as DELETED by the admin.

Dear sir,
    With all due respect i would like to pay my sincere & heartiest thanks for your valuable reply for my query.
    trully i was in great trouble how to find the right answer...i have lack of words to pay you my thanks.sir,i would like to draw your kind attention that if you can help me to know about the quantity ration to be mixed in Thepala ,like wise suppose i am making thepalas of 1 kg material...then what quantity of Sorbic acid/Benzoic acid ....i should add in this preperation. is there any certain process ,time or fixed amount of quantity ....in this all process...,it will so greatfull & helpfull for me...if you help me out in this regard.
    thanks

Sincerely yours
    Anil Tiwari
    Kaveri Dairy
    Banglore

• Food preservatives can be classified into two main groups. They are antioxidants and antimicrobials. Antioxidants delay or prevent the deterioration of foods by oxidation. Antimicrobial agents inhibit the growth of microorganisms which are spoilage and pathogenic in food. Some important antioxidants are
    1. Ascorbic acid which is an oxygen scavenger
    2. Butylated hydroxyanisole. It is a free radical scavenger
    3. Butylated hydroxytoluene. It is a free radical scavenger
    4, Citric acid enzyme. It is an inhibitor/metal chelator
    5. Tertiary butyl hydroquinone. It is a free radical scavenger
    Some important antimicrobials are
    1. Acetic acid It disrupts cell membrane function.
    2. Benzoic acid It disrupts cell membrane function/
    3. Nitrates, nitrites. They inhibit enzymes/disrupts cell membrane function
    4. Propionic acid. It disrupts cell membrane function
    5.Sorbic acid. It disrupts cell membrane function/inhibits enzymes/inhibits bacterial spore germination
    6.Sulfites and sulfur dioxide. They inhibit enzymes/forms addition compounds

If you pack the food in Vacuum bags the longevity will increase. You can try Ascorbic acid or Propionic aid for preserving the food for a long time.

Dear sir,
    thanks

Sincerely yours
    Anil Tiwari
    Kaveri Dairy
    Banglore

• Normally the quantity of Sodium Benzoate is limited to about 0.1 to 0.2% maximum for mixing in fruit juice or flour or other bakery items of 1 kg/ 1 ltr quantity.

It means in 1 kg material one can go up to 1 to 2 gram of Sodium Benzoate.

Now we have to check with the latest Govt regulations that is the legal prescribed limit so that we should be within that range. You can check it on food regulatory sites. It will be very near to above limit.

With experience you can reduce the ratio to even 0.005% ( about half a gram per kg of material) also and see the results of self life of the Methi Thepla. That will be ideal thing to experiment and then form up the ratio.