1. Mutation of a property means a change of ownership from one person o another person when the said property is sold or purchased in the municipal records. When you own property in a place which will come under a particular Panchayat or Municipality, it is our duty to pay tax on that as per the rules. Even the land belongs to you and even the tax is paid by you also the recprds in the mubcippal office will show asif the amount is paid by the ear;ier owmer only. So after purchasing the land, we have to get the name changed in municipal records also. This process is known as a mutation.
2. Your property should be on your name in municipal records. After some time if you want to sell your property, if the buyer wanted to see the tax payment details in the municipality, it will not be on your name and the buyer will have his own fears and you will face problem in selling. So mutation is a must.
3. Many people will not get this mutation done. It is not a requirement legally. But for your safety and not to have any problems during selling, it is advisable to go for mutation.
4. After you buy the land and got it registered, you have to do mutation. Even afterwards, we can get it done. But there may be a fine for late application.
5. The landowner has to apply for mutation after the registration of the land on the buyer's name. Once you purchase a piece of land and got it registered on your name, you will become the owner. Once you are the owner you have to apply for it.
6. The documents required for mutation are
6.1 Copy of Sale Deed
6.2 Application for mutation with court fee stamp affixed on it
6.3 Indemnity bond on stamp paper of requisite value
6.4 Affidavit on stamp paper of requisite value
6.5 Receipt of up-to-date property tax payment
7. If the land is on your name, on your name only you have to apply for mutation.
8. If the property is a common property also, the person on whose name the registered document is there, on that name only we have to apply for mutation. Part mutation also the registered document for that part should be on the name of the person who applies for mutation.
9. In some places, online mutation application process is there but in some cases physically you have to go and get it done.
10. Selling may not be a problem and once you sell it, the new person can get the mutation done on his name with the documents and link documents. The buyer may insist on it.
11. Anytime you can get it done. But if you are getting it done late you have to pay higher penalty.