• Category: Kitchen

How much time is required to boil eggs?

Have a query about boiling eggs perfectly? Want to know the perfect technique and the gas stove temperature for boiling eggs properly and completely? On this Ask Expert page find advice from experts.

I am a bachelor. I cook myself. I am not perfect but manage to make something to eat. I love to eat eggs. I feel it easy to make an omelet. My query is about boiling eggs. I would like to know how much time is required to boil eggs perfectly in a gas stove at maximum temperature. How do we come to know that the egg is boiled properly and completely?

• Place the eggs in a pan of water such that they submerge entirely in the water. The water should be an inch above the eggs. Add a few drops of vinegar to the water, to prevent the eggs from cracking. The vinegar tip is optional.
    Set the flame on high, and bring the water to a boil. Once the water starts bubbling, lower the flame and allow the eggs to cook. You can time the cooking process, depending on how you want your eggs done. If you want the eggs to be full-boiled, you'll need to cook them for 12-14 minutes. If you want a runny yolk and a soft white or what is called quarter-boiled egg, follow the procedure mentioned above for about 6 minutes. Half-boiled eggs take 8-10 minutes to cook. Here the egg-white is firmer and so is the yolk, but they aren't done entirely.

If you want a full-boiled boil egg, you can know if it is done by checking the level of the water. When the water reduces and covers the egg, you get a quarter-boiled egg. When the water level drops below the egg, and part of the egg shows above the water, you get a half-boiled egg. When the water reduces further, and the egg above the water is about a one-rupee coin, you have a full-boiled egg.

• Boiling egg requires some practice as timing is the crucial element here as less time will make them half boiled and more time will make them extra hard boiled sometimes spoiling the taste also. The eggs are boiled by immersing them in sufficient water so that at least half to an inch water is above the eggs. In case there are more number of eggs in the same pan then it is advisable to put more water at least one and half inch to two inches above the eggs.

Initially we have to keep them on high heat and as soon as the water starts airing out (just before the boil) which will happen in 2-3 minutes then we have to keep the flame at medium heat and then wait for at least 10-12 minutes and remove the pan from the heat and just keep it like that for a few minutes before peeling them.

Sometimes we use boiled eggs for egg curry or vegetables and in that case if there is time constraint one can even put the content of the egg directly in the boiling vegetable under preparation and in next 8-10 minutes it hardens and almost becomes like a boiled egg while remaining there in the vegetable. Then we can cut it in pieces in-situ and relish the dish.

• The time to boil eggs depend upon the condition of the eggs before the boiling. Let me explain. If you take out the eggs directly from the refrigerator and start boiling (which many bachelors do), there will be a crack on the shell of the eggs. It will take more time to boil such eggs. But if you keep the egg outside the refrigerator for thirty minutes before boiling, it will take less time.

Further, eggs completely submerged in the water get boiled quickly. Put some salt in the water. It will prevent cracking of shells and boiling would take less time (why I don't know).

"If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita